We carry out small electrical and carpentry jobs to enable older people to live independently.
Tel 01908 557885
Help with practical jobs
We can do up to three separate jobs during one visit. This must be arranged in advance so that we can allocate enough time to do the work.
Clients pay the cost of materials used and:
- £15 per hour for safety, security and falls prevention work
- from £25 per hour for all other work
This is charged per workman, for a minimum of an hour. Usually only one person is needed but we will send two if the job needs it.
After the first hour we will then charge by the half hour. Please contact us if you are unsure how much we will charge for your particular job. We can also visit to assess for larger works and give a quote.
In certain circumstances we have to charge VAT, so this will be explained before any work is arranged.
Our Handypersons can
- carry out minor electrical work where fittings and sockets have already been fitted and the work will enable a disabled person to live independently
- carry out small carpentry jobs such as putting up shelves and curtain rails
- install handrails and grab rails
- fit window and door locks and other security items
- fit key safes, intercoms and carbon monoxide detectors
- fit draught proofing to windows and doors
- carry out minor repairs to gates and fences
- construct steps and small ramps to enable easy access
Other jobs not listed
Please call us on 01908 557885 to discuss. We can give free advice on, and sometimes help with, most practical problems in the home. Or check our Trusted Traders Scheme for a contractor who may be able to carry out the work.
We regret we are not able to
- carry out any heating or plumbing work requiring GAS SAFE registered tradesmen
- do painting, decorating or fencing work
- replace broken glass
- do any work which needs ladder access above ground floor level
We will supply and fit a key safe outside a property
- £72 for a police-approved key safe
- £55 for a standard model
The key safe needs to be fixed to a solid wall and in a place that is accessible to the people who will be using it.
For people over the age of 60 we charge a standard rate of £93 for the supply and fitting of a wireless intercom to the outside of your house.
This will enable you to find out who is calling before you open the door.
Free Home Energy Checks
We are now taking referrals for these checks for winter 2017/2018.
We no longer fit smoke alarms. Contact Buckinghamshire Fire & Rescue service who now fit them for free. Ring 01296 744477 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Carbon monoxide detectors
We will supply and fit a CO detector for £23.00.
Carbon monoxide is produced when fuels such as gas, oil, charcoal, coal and wood do not burn completely. The most common cause of this is when an appliance, such as a boiler or cooker, is installed incorrectly or poorly maintained. Carbon monoxide can also build up when flues, chimneys or vents are blocked.
The Department of Health estimates that 50 people are killed by carbon monoxide poisoning, and at least 4,000 are treated in hospital, in the UK each year.
Your smoke detector won't detect it. Carbon monoxide can also cause long-term health problems, including heart problems, long-term brain damage and respiratory problems.
Larger home adaptations
Please refer to our Trusted Traders Scheme for contractors who may be able to help.
Ramps and steps
Ramps can make a huge difference to your quality of life, especially if steep steps or uneven paths make it difficult to manoeuvre a wheelchair or walk with a stick to your front door.
Installing permanent and semi-permanent ramps can be time-consuming and expensive but we will do our best to help.
A ramp can be costed individually before committing you to the expense.
Preventing falls and injury
Falls are the biggest cause of injury in the home amongst older people. We are working to reduce the number of falls that people suffer every year by offering Home Safety Checks.
Homes are checked to identify hazards likely to cause an accident or a fall such as loose mats or rugs, poor lighting.
- protruding cables can be relocated and remedied
- aids such as handrails, grips and half steps can be installed where necessary. Please ask for a quote as there will be a cost for this.
Other practical work can help ensure the dangers are minimised.
The home safety check usually takes about an hour and a half and costs £22.50
We welcome your feedback