This service provides tailored services and support to people who are referred by their GP.
What does the service offer?
We aim to provide holistic, non-medical support to improve the health and wellbeing of people taking part in a national pilot scheme.
- A Pesonal Independence Co-ordinator (PIC) will talk to you to find out what you would like help and support with. They will listen to you and work with you to put in place the help you feel you need.
- This may include putting you in touch with support groups or other services in your area that you may not be aware of. They may help to set up a group which can help you if such a group does not already exist.
- Age UK Northamptonshire is working with your GP practice and the local NHS to help improve the support provided to you. If you agree to join this project our PIC will be given access to your medical details to help them in supporting you.
Our PIC will chat to you and find out if you wish to join the scheme. If you think the help and support on offer is not for you, you can choose not to join. Once you join the scheme your PIC will work with your GP practice and others involved in supporting you. The support normally lasts about about 12 weeks, but this depends on the level of support you need.
Who is it for?
For people who live in Northampton and are:
- aged 60 or over and
- have two or more long-term health conditions and
- have had two unplanned admissions to hospital in the past 18 months
How much does it cost?
We do not make a charge for this service but may refer you to services for which there is a charge.
How do I access the service?
Please call us on 01604 611200 or send an email.
Some success stories
Beryl (not her real name or photo) was finding it hard to get about after spending 12 days in hospital following heart failure. With our support she has been to over 20 social events and support group sessions and regularly shares her experiences with new groups. She has not been to hospital since.
Fred (not his real name or photo) who has diabetes and recently had a stroke, was reliant on frequent home visits fro nurses and care staff. With support from the PIC service he was able to get out more and be more sociable. He recently hosted a social event at his home and has also reduced his own social care package.
We can help
Call us on 01604 611200 or send an email