You may be surprised, but walking has a lot of health benefits. You don't need to spend every day at the gym in order to stay active and keep well as an older person. Instead, a brisk walk can do the world of good.
Staying active and walks in North Craven
If you're keen to stay active in North Craven, then here's where to find out more.
- Age UK North Craven has a list of day trips you may be interested in
- The North Craven strollers is a local walking group which you could join
- Why not try the Rambler's Association for walking groups and tours?
For more information and advice about staying healthy and activities in North Craven, contact us on 01729 823066.
How walking can benefit your health
1. Walking can help you to lose weight
Taking regular exercise is especially important as we get older and our metabolism slows down, making us more likely to put on weight. A daily walk can help to burn off some of those calories.
2. Walking can help to keep your heart working as it should
Brisk walking can help to keep your heart strong by increasing your heart rate. It can also reduce your risk of heart disease and high blood pressure, which are risk factors for heart disease.
3. Physical exercise reduces your risk of developing cancer
Physical activity can reduce your risk of developing some cancers, including breast, bowel and womb cancer.
4. Walking can reduce your risk of diabetes
You can reduce your risk of developing type-2 diabetes by having a good diet and taking regular exercise, like walking
5. Walking can strengthen your bones
Exercise can help to keep your bones strong, which is really important as we get older.
6. Keeping active could help to reduce the risk of dementia
It's now thought that staying fit and well could help to reduce the risk of dementia.
Useful guides on healthy living
Download a copy of these guides or contact us to get a copy.
Contact us for activities and advice
If you want advice on staying healthy or you'd like to find an activity that suits you, give us a call on 01729 823066.