Working with the Northern Health and Social Care Trust to link older people to services and activities within their local community.
The Community Navigator service, is a partnership project, delivered throughout NHSCT area by Age NI, Building Communities Resource Centre and Mid & East Antrim Area Partnerhsip, funded by NHSCT and Public Health Agency.
What is the Community Navigator service?
The Community Navigator service helps older people in the Northern Health and Social Care Trust (NHSCT) area to access local services and activities, to improve their health, wellbeing and independence and supports NHSCT staff by providing links to the community and voluntary sector.
The Community Navigator can:
- Take referrals from individuals, healthcare professionals and the community and voluntary sector for people over the age of 50.
- Support community groups to sustain their activities to build capacity through promotion, information sharing, signposting towards funding and training opportunities.
- Help raise awareness of older people’s issues through attending and participating in relevant forums, meetings, events and consultations
Examples of services the Community Navigator can signpost you to include:
- Home Safety Check
- Benefit Entitlement check
- Handyperson Scheme
- Good Morning Call
- Community Transport
- Social Activity
- Luncheon Club
- Befriending Scheme
- Home Fire Safety Check
Please note - service provision differs across council areas.
‘We aim to help you when you need it’
The Community Navigator can support healthcare professionals in NHSCT area by:
- Increasing staff knowledge about support available in each locality through information sharing events
- Taking referrals and promoting services and opportunities for older people across the NHSCT area
- Raising awareness of statutory, voluntary and community support
- Mapping existing services and sharing information
- Updating the NHSCT Service Directory which provides information on a range of support services.
'When my husband passed away I felt down and didn't want to go anywhere for months. Since I was put in touch with the Wednesday Club through the community navigator, I’ve made new friends and feel like I have got a little bit of the ‘old me’ back.'
‘We received great help from the community navigator about training and funding opportunities. I’m delighted that the support and signposting was available for our group at a time when we really needed it’.
Which areas are covered?
The Community Navigator service covers the Northern Health and Social Care Trust area. For more information, please contact your local Community Navigator.
Antrim and Newtownabbey areas
Address: c/o Barron Hall, 230 Antrim Road, Glengormley, Newtownabbey, BT36 7QX
Tel: 07814 196 820
Coleraine, Ballymoney and Moyle areas
Building Communities Resource Centre
Unit 22-23 Acorn Business Centre,2 Riada Avenue, Ballymoney BT53 7LH
Tel: 028 2766 5068
Ballymena, Larne and Carrickfergus areas
Mid & East Antrim Agewell Partnership, 18 Queen Sreet, Ballymena BT42 2BD
Tel: 028 2565 8604
Mobile: 079 2755 0393
Cookstown and Magherafelt areas
c/o Positive Steps Community Centre, 2C Park Avenue, Cookstown BT80 8AH
Tel: 078 1419 6935