Skip to content

Help and support

The nature of dementia means your condition will change over time. It is important that the health professional responsible for your care tells you about the range of local services that can help you and family members who care for you.

This includes social services should you need help with personal care and day-to-day activities or regular respite care and voluntary groups that can provide both practical and emotional support to you and your family.

Caring is a very demanding job, so if you care for someone with dementia it is important you know where you can go for help and support and if respite breaks are available though social services.

You can find more about help available through social services by calling our Advice Line on freephone 0808 808 7575.

Financial support

If you have difficulty managing personal care or day-to-day tasks or need watching over to make sure you are all right, you may be able to claim a non means-tested benefit – Disability Living Allowance or PIP if you are under 65 years old or Attendance Allowance if you are aged 65 and over. You can find out more about these and other benefits you may be entitled to by calling our Advice Line on freephone 0808 808 7575.

Powers of Attorney

There may be a time in the future when your symptoms mean you are no longer able to make decisions about your financial affairs or about medical treatment. One option is to draw up, in advance, separate Lasting Powers of Attorney – one to cover financial decisions and one to cover health and welfare decisions. This involves appointing someone you trust to act on your behalf should this happen.

For more information: Call Age UK Advice: 0800 169 2081

This page was last updated:

Was this helpful?