In an emergency

Older man

Where can I get information in an emergency?

Tune into your local radio or TV station for up-to-date news bulletins. The media will normally broadcast the latest updates on the situation and publicise phone numbers to contact. You can also use the emergency contact details in this booklet (see pages 14 & 15) if you have a specific issue, for instance, burst pipes or an electricity failure.

What can I do if I have a burst pipe?

Turn off the water supply by turning the stopcock clockwise. The stopcock is usually found in your kitchen, below the sink unit. However in some
houses it is found in a front or back hall. Try and block the water with thick cloths. Contact a reputable plumber, your Housing Association, Landlord or the NI Housing Executive. If water has come into contact with electrical fittings, electricity should be turned off at the mains.

I’m worried about Carbon Monoxide poisoning – what do I do?

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning to look out for are headaches, nausea, dizziness, shortness of breath, collapse and loss of
consciousness. Anyone who experiences one or more of these symptoms should seek medical advice straightaway. Remember to have all household appliances safety checked and serviced on a yearly basis by a competent engineer. You can find a registered engineer in your area by visiting opens link in new window or by calling 0800 408 5500.

What should I do if my water is cut off?

If your supply fails, there may be a burst pipe somewhere in your home or there may be a leak in the mains system. Call NI Water on 0845 744 0088 if you think the problem is an issue with the mains.

I’m worried about bogus callers in my area. What should I do?

Sometimes people claim to be from reputable organisations so that they can trick their way into people’s homes. It is very important to be wary and if you suspect that someone isn’t who they say there are, call Quick Check on 0800 013 2290, a 24 freephone service to verify the identity of your caller.

Your Age NI

Set your location to see what Age NI offers in your local area.

Age NI Advice:
0808 808 7575
Age NI Advice Line:
0808 808 7575

Donate pie

Later Life Update

Receive our latest news and events information by email.

Subscribe now
Older lady

Spread the Warmth

For many older people winter means loneliness, poverty and ill-health.



Spend and Raise

Get involved

    Older people

    About Age NI

    We deliver care services, provide advice and advocacy, fundraise and influence our decision-makers to improve later life for us all.

    Investors In People Bronze

    Close window
    Display options

    Set the appearance of this website so you can read it more easily

    Text size


    To see information relating to England, Scotland or Wales set your preference below: