Skip to content

A Housing Benefit helps pay your rent if you are a tenant. You could be entitled to Housing Benefit but are not receiving it.

Can I claim it?

  • The support you receive depends on your income, savings, who you live with and how much rent you pay. You may receive more Housing Benefit if you receive a sickness, disability or carer's benefit.

  • If you (or you and your partner) are under the qualifying age for Pension Credit, the benefit cap may affect the amount of Housing Benefit you can get.

  • If you receive Guarantee Credit, you may get your rent paid in full. If you don’t get Guarantee Credit but have a low income and no more than £16,000 in savings, you may still get some help.

  • If you have someone living with you, for example a grown-up son or daughter, who is expected to contribute to the rent, an amount will usually be deducted from your Housing Benefit. This amount depends on their circumstances.

  • If you get Housing Benefit and still find it difficult to pay your rent, you can apply for a discretionary housing payment. Contact the Northern Ireland Housing Executive.

  • If you own your own home, you cannot claim Housing Benefit. However, you may be eligible for Support for Mortgage Interest as part of Pension Credit.

  • After Universal Credit has been rolled out, people over State Pension age will get help with rent payments through Pension Credit rather than making a separate claim for Housing Benefit. If you own your home and you’re eligible for help with paying your mortgage interest, you will continue to get this as part of your Pension Credit.

  • When you apply for Housing Benefit you will also be assessed for Rate Relief to see if you qualify for a reduction in your rates.

Contact the Northern Ireland Housing Executive to claim. You may be able to apply online, by telephone or by completing a form.

Further information

For more information: Call Age NI Advice: 0808 808 7575

Was this helpful?