Skip to content

Disability Living Allowance has been replaced by Personal Independence Payment (PIP) for people of working age.

PIP has many similarities with Disability Living Allowance. It has two components: a daily living component (similar to DLA’s care component) and a mobility component which are paid at different rates depending on the level of difficulty you have. It is not meanstested, so it isn’t affected by your income and savings. You will also need to be under 65 to make a claim.

The rates from April 2017 to April 2018 are as follows:

Daily Living component
Enhanced rate £83.10
Standard rate £55.65

Mobility component
Enhanced rate £58.00
Standard rate £22.00

Daily living component and mobility component

There will be nine daily living activities:

  • Preparing food and drink
  • Taking nutrition
  • Managing therapy or monitoring a health condition
  • Bathing and grooming
  • Managing toilet needs or incontinence
  • Dressing and undressing
  • Communicating
  • Engaging socially
  • Making financial decisions.

The mobility component will be assessed on your ability to move around, and to plan and follow a journey.

You will be given a score for each activity depending on how much help you need with it. Many of the activities will take into consideration whether you can do something with the help of an aid or appliance, such as a walking stick, grab rail or shower seat. Your scores will be added up, and if you get enough points you will be awarded one or both components.

You can claim PIP by phone, in paper form, or online. If you are currently claiming DLA, you’ll be assessed to find out if you’re eligible for PIP. If you’re entitled to PIP, you’ll receive it instead of DLA. If you’re not entitled to PIP, your DLA will stop. To find out how to claim PIP call the Age NI Advice Service on freephone 0808 808 7575.

Short url for this webpage:

For more information: Call Age NI Advice: 0808 808 7575

Was this helpful?