Having company and being more active at home.
Are you finding it difficult to get out?Maybe you miss meeting people?
We have a great team of volunteers to visit and befriend people in later life across the city. We know how much difference some company can make to how you feel
What’s going on?
Befriending can include:
• lively discussion, putting the world to rights
• reminiscing: ‘remember when…’
• offloading worries to a listening ear – someone who may also be able to help
• a chance to share your interests
• doing brain teasers and crosswords together or playing a board game, what about scrabble, chess, draughts or dominoes?
• even watching TV together (twice the fun), or chatting about yesterday’s programmes
• best of all, before long you’ll have a new friend!
We can help match people to find a trusted and friendly volunteer who
shares your interests. They will visit regularly and help you to feel more
involved in life.
Whatever you like, there’s something to interest you and keep you active. If you find it harder to get out, but would like to join in with local social activities, we can help too. We have a number of clubs and activities across the city and can help find a local volunteer to help you to get to the place you want to go.
Having company and being a little more active can give us all a sense
of purpose and achievement. Even a little gentle exercise can make
you feel better about yourself. Most importantly, it can help you
stay independent. Other ways we can help Age UK Norwich offers a range of services from our office in the centre of Norwich, including:
• Information and Advice about any matter concerning an older person
• Advice about benefits and pensions
• Volunteering opportunities and support to make a difference
• Befriending opportunities and support to be more active and involved.
Christine lives alone and was recovering from a stroke. Her son
Peter called Age UK Norwich for advice and organised for a weekly
visit from volunteer befriender Sandra. Peter is hugely relieved
that his mum has a regular visitor and new friend. They do simple
crosswords and jigsaws together helping to rebuild her skills, as well
as taking time to chat. Peter says Sandra has played a big part in his
If you would like more information on our services and how we can help you or a loved one, please get in touch …..
Call 01603 496333 and talk to someone from our Information and Advice team.
Visit us at our Information and Advice Centre
60 London Street, Norwich, NR2 1JX.
Our opening hours are
Monday – Friday 10.00-16.00