Our Carer Support Groups are now up and running!
Are you an older person caring for a loved one who is living with dementia? Would you like support, information and advice? Then come and join one of our support groups for older carers.
The sessions are themed and include an hour's talk by a professional advisor on useful topics such as communication techniques, the legal and financial side of caring, the Social Care system and moving and positioning techniques. There will also be refreshments and the chance to relax and chat with other carers. Your loved ones are very welcome with people available to look after them.
The Mousehold group meets at Don Pratt Court in Mousehold Street on the first Wednesday of the month from 10am to 12 noon.
The Bowthorpe group meets at Bowthorpe church on the second Friday of the month from 12.30 to 2.30pm.
The City Centre group meets at The Assembly House on the third Thursday of the month from 10am to 12 noon.
The Eaton Group meets on the 4th Wednesday of the month from 2pm at St Andrew’s church hall.
The Marion Road day centre group meets on the 4th Friday of the month from 10am to 12 noon.
Each session is themed around a particular topic and there is also the opportunity for one to one support and to talk to other carers.
We will give you information on:
- Safety, including the Herbert Protocol, fire safety, moving and positioning and safety at home
- Dementia awareness and understanding
- Effective communication techniques
- Advice and Information (benefits, allowances, will writing, power of attorney)
- Reminiscence training
- Medication options and Incontinence care
- Assistive Technology, physical aids and equipment
- Remaining active and engaged (clubs, groups, volunteering etc.) and carer health and wellbeing
- Opportunities to influence the local community (Dementia Action Alliance, case studies, canvasing for better facilities etc.)
Although the groups are primarily intended for those whose loved ones have dementia, all older carers are welcome. Tea/coffee and biscuits/cake provided. Your loved one is very welcome to come with you.
If you are interested, please visit our Volunteering page.
To express an interest, book a place or get more information, please contact Ellen on 01603 667944 or email Ellen Oliver on firstname.lastname@example.org.