Happy New Year from everyone at Age UK Oxfordshire!
Charity Golf Day
Do you love a round of golf or know someone who does? We have an upcoming Charity Golf Day on Friday 20th April alongside our sister charity Action for Carers. The event is the beautiful Badgemore Park Golf Club in Henley On Thames.
You can enter a team of 4 players for £280. 18-hole competition including a two course meal and auction. We’ve got some great prizes lined up for the auction including a rare opportunity for a behind the scenes tour of Renault Sport Formula One Team HQ.
We also have sponsorship packages available to any companies who may be interested in supporting us with this fundraising.
If you want to find out more, or book your team into the event please give Tracey a call on 01235 520463 or email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
No one should have no one
Thank you to everyone who came to our event in Bonn Square last month, whether to watch our local actors and poetry readings or to donate in our collection tins.
The campaign ends at the end of this month. So far we have raised nearly £900.00 to help combat loneliness amongst older people in Oxfordshire!
Is one of your new year's resolutions to volunteer?
Volunteers are a vital part of the work we do every day with and for older people in Oxfordshire. We have a wide range of volunteering opportunities, whether you want to make new friends, develop new skills or give something back to your local area.
Some of the things you could to do to help:
- Helping to inform older people in your community about activities and services that are available to them
- Become a Phone Friend and give a regular telephone call to someone who may be isolated or lonely
- Teaching someone computer basics and how to use the internet
- Helping out in our Community Clubs or Lunch Clubs
- Helping to support people who have been bereaved at one of our Late Spring groups
- Giving administrative support to our office in Abingdon
- Helping out at an exercise class, supporting the tutor and attendees
- Volunteer for Carers Oxfordshire some of our roles include raiding awareness in our community, becoming a befriender or companion, helping us with fundraising and becoming a Blue Badge Champion
All of our volunteers will primarily go through a registration process which includes the request of two references and a Disclosure and Barring check (if applicable). For more information about current opportunities see the How You Can Help section of the website or call us on 0345 450 1276
Community Informtion Network
- We have a new Late Spring group starting in Goring on 12th February. When: The second and fourth Monday of each month,10.30am-12pm. Where: In the 'Hobbies Room' at Towse Court, Icknield Place, Goring, Reading RG8 0DN. Contact: Helen for more information. If you have lost a loved one, you may find that others who have lost a loved one can offer valuable comfort and support. Late Spring is a network of support groups for anyone aged 60+ who has been bereaved. Each group aims to meet twice a month for a couple of hours in a local venue. Over coffee and cake, together we look to the future without forgetting. Within the groups, we provide an opportunity for you to talk about and remember openly your loved one. These sessions occur in relaxed and friendly settings with others who understand about how being bereaved can make you feel, simply because they are 'feeling it too'.
- Our Abingdon IT classes at Barclays Bank, Ock Street are back up and running after Christmas every Wednesday slots from 2pm-3pm. our IT classes are a fantastic way to learn and improve basic computer skills. Whether it is using Skype to keep in touch with friends and family abroad, or sending an email, competency in IT is essential in avoiding isolation in the digital world we now live in. Booking is essential.
NEW Strength & Balance falls prevention classes:
Bodicote Village Hall (starts 15th Jan) Monday 1.15 - 2.15pm
Chipping Norton Town Hall (starts 9th Feb) Friday 9.30 - 10.30am
These two classes takes us up to 14 across the county. You can ask GP or health professional for referral to 6 weeks free.
These classes are evidence based, we know they work to improve strength & balance when done regularly. Carers always welcome to join in free.
Or why not try something new? Tai Chi? Zumba Gold (lower impact version of Zumba) lots of fun, great music, and have a great cardio workout without even realising it!