The Keep Warm, Keep Well 2017/18 Fund, managed by Hampshire and Isle of Wight Community Foundation (HIWCF), has been created by Portsmouth City Council to help local people living within postcode areas PO1 - PO6 who will struggle to keep warm this winter.
Fuel poverty can be caused by any combination of three factors:
- Low income
- High fuel costs
- Inefficient homes
Each individual’s response to the cold can vary. Some may heat their home more but buy less food. Others will cut back on their heating and social contact. Any of these actions could be detrimental to people's well-being.
Small grants available from Age UK Portsmouth to pay gas and electricity bills
As part of the Keep Warm, Keep Well campaign this winter Age UK Portsmouth is able to provide small grants to vulnerable individuals who may require help to keep warm and well this winter.
The aim of this fund is to ensure that persons in the community who struggle with the cost of keeping warm can survive the winter with a reasonable level of comfort and dignity.
Eligible individuals will be:
- Those who would struggle to maintain a basic acceptable standard of warmth and comfort in their home (ie they are in fuel poverty)
- Living in social housing, privately rented or owner occupied homes, within Portsmouth City Council boundaries, PO1 - PO6
- Meeting one or more of the following criteria
- Physical health condition and / or disability
- Mental illness
- Frail older person
- Exceptionally vulnerable person
- Income shock (sudden, unexpected reduction in income)
- Short term crisis
- Damp or poorly insulated housing
What can be awarded?
The award will be up to a maximum of £100, and must only be used to pay for gas and electricity costs. This could be via a key meter or monthly / quarterly bills.
Contact us for more information
If you or someone you know are struggling with your fuel bills this winter and you meet the eligibility criteria above please contact us on 023 9286 2121 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for further information about the Keep Warm, Keep Well grants.