Heroes at Home, our latest project, can provide up to six weeks free support at home to frail older ex service men and women.
Our dedicated team meet with the older ex service man or woman on a one-to-one basis, and will undertake an initial home visit, gaining a better understanding of what support is needed. This will be followed by one of our fully trained Home Services Supporters making weekly visits to the ex service men and women to provide the support.
If you or somebody you know is an ex service man or woman that may need some extra support at home, please get in contact with our team. The service is completely free of charge.
This project has been fully funded by The Armed Forces Covenant.
Domestic and Practical Help
- Provide a range of cleaning activities
- Collecting prescriptions and shopping
- Accompany a hospital or doctors visit
- Liase with external agencies on the service users behalf
- Pop in for a chat to alleviate social isolation and potential loneliness
Information and Advice
Our Home Assistant Heroes can help the older veteran find services to assist with practical tasks both inside and outside of their home. Alternatively information and advice on a range of subjects can also be provided by our staff or volunteers.
Common subjects we have provided information and advice on are:
- How to apply for a service medal or Veterans badge
- Mental health support
- Undertaking benefits and entitlements checks including War and Armed Forces Pensions
- Helping find regimental associations to join
- Coping with bereavement
Befriending and Socialisation
Our Home Assistant Heroes can refer the older veteran into Age UK Portsmouth's Joining Forces project. The project provides free befriending and socialisation support for lonely and/or isolated ex service men and women, and/or their spouses in Portsmouth.
Who to contact
Age UK Portsmouth
The Bradbury Centre
16-18 Kingston Road
Telephone 023 9229 1999