Our Heroes at Home service can provide up to six weeks' free support at home to vulnerable older ex-service men and women.
Our dedicated team meet with the older ex-service man or woman on a one-to-one basis, and will undertake an initial home visit to gain a better understanding of what support is needed. This will be followed by one of our fully trained Home Services Supporters making weekly visits to the ex-service men and women to provide the support.
The service is provided completely free of charge.
If you or somebody you know is an ex-service man or woman who may need some extra support at home, please get in contact with our team.
This project has been fully funded by The Armed Forces Covenant.
Services we can offer
Domestic and Practical Help
- Provide a range of cleaning activities
- Collecting prescriptions and shopping
- Accompany a hospital or doctor's visit
- Liaise with external agencies on the service user's behalf
- Pop in for a chat to alleviate social isolation and potential loneliness
Information and Advice
Our Home Services Supporters can help the older veteran find services to assist with practical tasks both inside and outside of their home. Alternatively information and advice on a range of subjects can also be provided by our staff or volunteers.
Common subjects we have provided information and advice on are:
- How to apply for a service medal or Veterans Badge
- Mental health support
- Undertaking benefits and entitlements checks including War and Armed Forces Pensions
- Helping find regimental associations to join
- Coping with bereavement
Befriending and Socialisation
Our Home Services Supporters can refer the older veteran into Age UK Portsmouth's Joining Forces service. This service provides free befriending and socialisation support for lonely and isolated ex-service men and women and their spouses in Portsmouth.
Who to contact
Age UK Portsmouth
The Bradbury Centre
16-18 Kingston Road
Portsmouth PO1 5RZ
Telephone 023 9229 1999