NHS Services

doctor and patient at hospital 

The National Health Services (NHS) in Scotland is the main provider of primary and acute health care.

Care is organised at a local level by Health Boards, which oversee the delivery of services. Primary care includes the General Practitioner (GP) service, most mental health services, rehabilitation, most non-acute geriatric services and the community nursing service. Acute services cover, for example, surgery and specialist medical care such as cancer treatment. In rural Scotland, most Health Boards have a single acute hospital in their region wherEas those serving large, urbanised areas, such as Lothian, contain more than one.

The health and social care of older people across Scotland follows a fairly standard pattern. The first point of contact is usually the GP who will refer an individual to an appropriate support service where necessary.

The GP is the central member of the 'primary care team,' a team of professionals from various health disciplines who work from a GP surgery or health centre. Other members of the team may include the district nurse, health visitor, practice nurse, community psychiatric nurse, chiropodist, therapists, social worker, receptionist and medical secretary. GPs are independent, self-employed doctors who have a contract with the Health Board to provide services within the NHS.


Your Age Scotland

Set your location to see what Age Scotland offers in your local area.

Silver Line Scotland:
0800 4 70 80 90

What does Age Scotland do in my area?

Silver Line Scotland 0800 4 70 80 90

Information, advice and friendship, all day and every day.

Help us to do more

Your donation will support our work with and for older people in Scotland.

Make a donation

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Campaign for warm homes

Help us end the scandal of fuel poverty

Take action today

Contact us

Contact Age Scotland with our simple online form.

Close window
Display options

Set the appearance of this website so you can read it more easily

Text size


To see information relating to England, Northern Ireland or Wales set your preference below: