Skip to content

Some people will go into a care home on a temporary basis. This could be because they are:

  • Waiting to move to somewhere more suitable, such as sheltered housing.
  • Recuperating from an illness.
  • On a ‘trial’ period in order to decide whether they want to live permanently in that home.

They could also need respite care for a short time. The council’s care assessment should make it clear whether your stay is regarded as a temporary or a permanent one.  A stay can be classed as temporary for up to 52 weeks, or longer in exceptional circumstances.  

If the council agrees to arrange a temporary stay in a care home, they can ask someone to contribute towards the cost in one of two ways.

  1.     It can apply its normal financial assessment to you straight away, or
  2.     It can ask you to pay a “reasonable” amount for the first 8 weeks.

See our Care Home publications for further information. 

Paying for care if you have a partner

Being part of a couple can affect a care home resident’s eligibility for assistance with care home fees and both partners’ eligibility for welfare benefits during the period in care. To discuss your situation, call the Age Scotland helpl;ine on 0800 12 44 222.

Useful Resources

Browse our care home guides

For more information: Call the Age Scotland Helpline on 0800 12 44 222

Was this helpful?

Back to top