Please read our guides together with our Coronavirus information pages, to find out about temporary rule changes that may affect you.
You probably already know quite a lot about staying warm in your home and how to cope with a Scottish winter, but there may be even more you can do to stay warm and to manage your energy bills.
Age Scotland’s Warm and Well guide explains about how to make your home energy efficient, manage your bills, keep your home warm, benefit the environment and stay as well as you can over winter.
Many aspects of energy efficiency are simply common sense, but it's worth checking that you know how to use your heating efficiently and make sure it is checked regularly.
It is important not to let your house be too cold; you should aim for a temperature of between 18 and 21C to reduce your risk of health problems.
Want a copy of this guide?
All of our guides are available to download as PDFs. If you would like to request a paper copy of a guide to be sent to you, please call our Helpline on 0800 12 44 222
Did you know there are Scottish Government programmes that can help you?
The Scottish Government’s Home Energy Efficiency Programme (HEEPS) could help you to improve the energy efficiency of your home and reduce your bills. You can find out more by contacting Home Energy Scotland on 0808 808 2282 or visiting the Home Energy Scotland website.
Home Energy Scotland can:
- Give you advice on lowering your bills and making your home warmer
- Check your entitlement to benefits and Warm Home Discount help from your energy supplier
- Check your entitlement to insulation for your home
- Check whether you qualify for help with a new central heating system or boiler, draught-proofing, further insulation and help with energy efficiency
- Support you in switching your energy supplier via Citrus Energy
You may also want to contact you energy supplier and join their priority services register, particularly if you rely on medical equipment which needs mains power. If you are on the register your supplier will know they need to try to reconnect you quickly if there is a power cut.