Skip to content
Please donate

Rights of Council and Housing Association Tenants

Council and Housing Association Tenants

Make sure you are aware of your rights and responsibilities as a tenant, and know where to get further advice if you need it

If you are the tenant of a social landlord, usually a council or housing association, this guide is for you. It will give you basic information about your tenancy agreement, your rights and your responsibilities. Most tenants of social landlords will have a Scottish Secure Tenancy agreement.

This guide covers when you are responsible for repairs and when your landlord is, as well as the best course of action to take to ensure you get the repairs done in line with your Scottish Secure Tenancy agreement. It also covers issues such as assignation and succession rights for your tenancy, rights around adaptations or improvements to the home, and where to seek help if you have any issues.

Scottish Secure Tenancy agreements

Before you move in, your landlord must provide you with a Scottish Secure Tenancy agreement and details of their complaint procedure.

Your tenancy agreement should include details of your right to stay in the property and information about how you may be able to pass the tenancy to someone else. These are covered in more detail later in this guide.

Want to save a copy of the guide?

All of our guides are available to download as PDFs. If you would like to request a paper copy of a guide to be sent to you, please call our Helpline on 0800 12 44 222

Want further advice?

If you have any questions about your housing rights, or you have another type of tenancy agreement you can contact the following organisations for advice:

Become part of our story

Sign up to our email newsletter

Back to top