We use cookies to give you the best experience. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our policy. Read more about how we use cookies and find out how you can change your browser's cookie setting
Skip to content
Please donate

EU Settlement Scheme

EU Settlement Scheme

Find out about the scheme, who needs to apply, and the deadline for applications

As the UK has now left the European Union, EU citizens must apply to the EU Settlement Scheme by 30 June 2021 to continue living in the UK and accessing services, including the NHS.

In case this applies to you or a family member, we’ve produced a summary of what you need to do and where to find help.

Who should apply?

If you are originally from a country in the EU, European Economic Area or Switzerland you must apply – even if you already have a permanent residence document or have lived in the UK for a long time.

You need to have been in the UK by 11pm on 31 December 2020 to apply.

Any family members who are not UK citizens must also apply.

You don’t need to apply if you have Irish citizenship or indefinite leave to remain.

Settled and pre-settled status

You can make a free application to the EU Settlement Scheme for settled or pre-settled status.

You should be given settled status if you have lived in the UK for 5 years or more. Once you have settled status, you can stay as long as you like. If you receive State Pension and are currently in the UK, you should be offered settled status without needing to provide further information about your residence.

If you have lived in the UK for less than 5 years you can apply for pre-settled status which allows you to stay in the UK for up to 5 years and then you can apply for settled status once you’ve been here for 5 years, including the time before you applied.

From 1 July, you’ll need settled or pre-settled status to:

  • stay in the UK for more than 3 months
  • work or study
  • vote
  • use the NHS
  • claim State Pension and benefits like Pension Credit
  • rent a home or get help with housing from your council

How to apply

Most people will need to apply online or using an Android phone or iPhone at: https://www.gov.uk/settled-status-eu-citizens-families/applying-for-settled-status 

You will need documents to prove your identity, your national insurance number or proof of how long you have been in the UK, and an email address and mobile phone number.

If you don’t have your passport or national identity card, you can request a paper application form from the UK Government's EU Settlement Resolution Centre by calling 0300 123 7379 (Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm; Saturday and Sunday, 9.30am to 4.30pm)

Further support and advice

If you need help applying to the scheme, call Citizens Advice Scotland’s EU Citizens Support Service for free on 0800 916 9847 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm). You can find out more at: www.cas.org.uk/brexit

Become part of our story

Sign up to our email newsletter

Back to top