As many people will know, we have been fundraising in order to provide emergency food parcels to older people in Sheffield. These parcels are targeted at people who are self-isolating at home, and have no other safe means of accessing food, such as Violet, you can click here to read her story. They are being delivered to:
- Existing Age UK Sheffield beneficiaries who we have risk assessed as needing an emergency food parcel due to their individual circumstances;
- New referrals to Age UK Sheffield who we have risk assessed as needing an emergency food parcel due to their individual circumstances;
- Other older people whose needs have been identified by a risk assessment from a partner organisation (such as Weston Park Cancer Charity) and referred to us.
People who believe they may need an Age UK Sheffield emergency food parcel should ring us on 0114 250 2850.
People who are not eligible to receive an Age UK Sheffield food parcel may qualify for other support. Further details are available from Sheffield City Council’s coronavirus hotline number, 0114 273 4908.
It should be noted that Age UK Sheffield’s emergency food parcels are basic “rations” which would not be considered by most people to represent a regular shop to meet ongoing needs. People who require a bespoke shopping order and delivery may seek to arrange this through some of the following means:
- Informal arrangements with family, friends or neighbours
- Informal volunteer support which may be available from local voluntary sector organisations
- Online supermarket order
- Paying someone to do your shopping. Age UK Sheffield’s paid-for, not-for-profit At Home service can do this at a rate of £24 per hour. There are a variety of other providers who also provide this type of service
Please note that Age UK Sheffield does not routinely provide a bespoke, volunteer shopping service for safeguarding, money management policy, and volunteer management reasons. The exceptions are a small number of ongoing cases where this is part of a wider package of support, based on a needs assessment.