Age UK Somerset are currently in the process of setting up a Cognitive Stimulation Therapy (CST) programme for people over fifty, living with a recent diagnosis of mild to moderate dementia.
Cognitive Stimulation Therapy (CST) is proven to, initially, slow the progression of dementia and increase quality of life and is recognised by the NHS as THE leading non-pharmaceutical intervention for those recently receiving a dementia diagnosis.
Staff delivering this programme are trained to provide support and improve wellbeing for people living with dementia. The programme will also offer respite for their carers.
Members of this group will meet twice a week for structured group work. The programme offers a range of enjoyable creative and physical activities providing general stimulation for thinking, concentration and memory. Members will experience a fun, supportive environment where people can build new friendships.
Activities will include:
- word games
- physical activities
- creative and musical activities.
Sessions have a maximum of ten members. Each session will cost £15. Initally the first classes will be based in Taunton.
Benefits of Cognitive Stimulation Therapy
- Creates opportunities for people to learn in a relaxed and fun environment
- Improves concentration, mental abilities and memory
- Improves mood
- Allows people to express their feelings and views, and encourages peer support
- Improves the wellbeing of members and their carers
- Helps members and their carers to cope and live with dementia