Do you identify as LGBT+ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual or Transgender)? Do you ever feel lonely, isolated or disconnected?
Meaningful Connections supports older people (aged 50+) who identify as LGBT+ in Sunderland to be more connected within the community, reduce feelings of loneliness and promote positive ageing.
The weather at this year’s Sunderland Pride, held on the 29th September, did not dampen the spirits of the Age UK Sunderland’s staff and volunteers, who turned out in numbers to celebrate diversity in the City of Sunderland.
We are able to offer:
- A discrete service providing advice and information to promote positive ageing, overcoming adversity, and making meaningful connections
- One to one support and a listening ear
- Support to access wider services to meet individual needs
- Social group activities and discussion groups in a safe and inclusive space to connect with peers
- Volunteering opportunities including group facilitators, befrienders, and supporting with the design of the local pride event
However you choose to identify we will be led by you; we will utilise your skills, knowledge and expertise to enable you to be more connected within the community.
"Our vision is to end loneliness for older people across the city, including for the most marginalised and hard to reach communities. Older LGBT+ people are at a much higher risk of experiencing loneliness in later life, much less likely to access services, and much more likely to have concerns about growing older compared with the heterosexual population.
There are distinct support needs for the LGBT+ older population, often not addressed through mainstream services. As such Meaningful connections will work at a grass root level to empower people to establish and maintain safe inclusive spaces for older LGBT+ whilst also encouraging access to mainstream activities and advice and information to overcome adversity, promote positive ageing, and make meaningful connections.”
Tracy Collins, Director
For further information about the Meaningful connection service please contact:
Tel: 0191 514 8322
Age UK Sunderland