Being loved and cared for is important to all of us, whatever our age. And it’s especially true at Christmas – a time when the companionship and support of friends and family seem to mean even more… and loneliness can be even more keenly felt.
At Age UK Tameside, we believe that no one should have no one. Not at Christmas. Not ever.
Yet across England, 1.9 million older people say they feel ignored or invisible. And here on our doorstep in Tameside, evidence suggests that loneliness is a daily reality for around 51% of older people. For them, every day is just another day…
If someone feels lonely or isolated, their physical and mental health can decline. They can also feel that their self-esteem and dignity are slipping away. So we’re working as hard as we can all year round to make sure this doesn’t happen to older people in Tameside, by helping them stay active and involved in their community.
We do it through our Best Foot Forward Falls Prevention Programme, where people like Renee tell us they value the friends they make at their exercise classes as much as the improvements in their mobility; and our Day Support Service where Margaret, Aloisia and Carol have forged a lasting friendship that means they look forward to their Friday get-togethers.
We also do it through our Community Support Service, which helps people like Ken take his first steps back into the community after a spell in hospital, and our Information and Advice team, which helps people with Blue Badge applications so that they can get out and about more easily by car to see family and friends.
But we can’t do these things without your help. So, this Christmas, as part of Age UK’s No One Should Have No One Campaign, we are asking you to make a donation – or set up a regular payment, if you can. By doing so, you’ll help us change the lives of local people for the better and make sure people like Renee and Ken don’t slip through the cracks.
Here are some examples of the great ways in which your invaluable contributions can help:
- £15 pays for a keep fit session for an older person, reducing their risk of serious injury from a fall and giving them the chance to meet up with others and have fun.
- £35 allows us to provide a lonely older person with transportation, company, entertainment, support and a hot meal at our Independent Living Centre.
- £90 allows us to support a local older person for more than a month, helping them regain their independence after the loss of their spouse, a fall, a stay in hospital, or an illness.
We hope that you see this as an investment in your community’s future – a way of making sure your family, friends, neighbours and colleagues have somewhere to turn if they need it.
If you are able to support our appeal, here’s how you can make your donation:
- Send a cheque with your chosen amount to: Age UK Tameside: No One Should Have No One Appeal, 131 Katherine Street, Ashton-under-Lyne, OL6 7AW
- Make a one-off donation, or set up a regular payment, online here.
Thank you for your support and we wish you and yours a healthy and happy Christmas and all the best for 2018!