Latest Crime update - April 2018
Published on 10 May 2018 01:46 PM
Crimes Against Older People summary of reported crimes in April 2018
There were fourteen victims of crime involving scams/fraud/rogue traders last month. This included six telephone scams. Five of these were callers posing as police officers; obtaining bank account details, bank card details and/or subsequently collecting money from the victim’s address.
Tips to stay safe
- Never give out your personal, credit card or bank details over the phone.
- You do not have to get into a discussion with any caller you deem suspicious. Just hang up straight away.
- Be aware that telephone scammers may try to keep your phone line open, once you have put the receiver down. Wait at least 10-15 minutes if possible before using the phone again.
- If anyone comes to your door, make sure you ask for identification – even if it is a police officer. Genuine callers will be happy for you to check their ID.
- Never hand over any money to cold callers.
If you have any concerns about a suspicious phone call, contact the Police on 101 or contact the Wandsworth Council Community Safety team on 020 8871 6567 / email email@example.com