Latest crime update Feb 2018
Published on 14 March 2018 12:59 PM
'Crimes Against Older People' summary of reported crimes in February 2018
Age UK Wandsworth co-ordinates the 'Crimes Against Older People' Forum. These are the crime headlines from February 2018.
There were six victims of crime involving scams/fraud/rogue traders last month. This involved doorstep crime and scam letters in the post:
- Conmen, posing as builders offering to do work in the victim’s home and taking cash without completing any work
- Scam letters received in the post requesting money to be sent or requesting personal information in order to be added as a next of kin or a beneficiary.
Tips to stay safe
- If you receive a scam letter ignore it, shred your personal details and throw it away.
- Do not allow cold callers to do any work on your home.
- If you need some work completed in your home, get three written quotes from reputable firms.
- Check traders with a scheme such as Trustmark, the Age UK London Business Directory, Check-a-trade or get recommendations from friends.
- Do not hand over any money to cold callers.
If you have any concerns about rogue traders, call the Wandsworth Council Community Safety team on 020 8871 6567 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.