You will be part of the Debt Advice Service providing help and support to older people (50+) in debt or at high risk of debt. This may involve home visits to help vulnerable people pay their bills online, to assist them in completing forms for discretionary grants in situations of financial hardship, and to maintain support later down the line to ensure they do not slip back into debt.
We ask for a minimum commitment of one hour per week (1 hours).
All advice provided is free of charge, independent and confidential. It is important to be impartial, non-judgmental and able to empathise with the client's situation. The client's confidentiality must be respected at all times.
Summary of duties:
- Dealing with members of the public and professionals in a courteous and professional manner in order to communicate complex information in a way which is easy to understand.
- Guiding clients to decide on the best course of action based on the information available, including referring clients to other sources of help
- Keeping accurate and timely case records
- Carry out home visits in Westminster
- to assist in completing forms for discretionary grants in situations of financial hardship
- To train older people how to use online services (banking, shopping etc) and money management apps.
- Promote the service by distributing leaflets and posters.
- To provide administrative support, recording client data, writing up case studies and helping with email/postal correspondence.
Skills, experiences and qualities required:
- Good customer service skills including listening and communication.
- Effective administrative skills, and a good standard of IT skills, including MS Word, Excel, Outlook, or other database, and internet.
- The ability to treat clients in a non- judgmental way.
- Tech savvy individuals with a pratical knowledge of how paying bills online, online banking, and using money management apps.
- Good command of the English language.
- confident in their interpersonal skills, as they will be providing one to one support to older people.
As a Volunteer for the Debt Advice Service you will be part of the team delivering the flagship program of Age UK Westminster. You will be making a real contribution to the welfare of older residents of the City of Westminster.
What we offer:
- The chance to be part of a lively team who will facilitate your development with support and on-going training.
- The opportunity to be involved with projects where your own ideas and input will be valued.
- The chance to make a real contribution to Age UK Westminster's work.
- Professional references.
- Travel & lunch expenses covered.
How to apply
To apply for this position please download and complete the application form below then send your completed application pack to firstname.lastname@example.org or send a printed copy to the address below.
Send completed applications to:
Age UK Westminster
Volunteer application pack
We appreciate your interest in volunteering with Age UK Westminster and have provided a copy of our application form for you to download.