We promote both physical and mental health and wellbeing and support older people to remain independent for longer by helping them to stay fit and active in later life.
There is strong evidence that suggests that remaining physically active in later life can help to maintain both physical and mental health and well-being.
The World Health Organisation (WHO) defines HEALTH as...
“a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity”.
Remaining active is one of the best investments to help maintain quality of life. Active ageing is so much more than just exercising, it involves maintaining and taking up new hobbies, being involved in our communities, keeping up social up contacts and making new friends.
The World Health Organisation (WHO) defines ACTIVE AGEING as...
“...the process of optimising opportunities for health and participation in order to enhance quality of life as people age… It aims to extend healthy life expectancy and quality of life for all people as they age – including those who are frail, disabled or in need of care.”
Making ageing a positive experience
The Active Ageing Department of Age UK Wiltshire work to promote the health and well-being of those in our community in several ways:
- We run Fitness and Friendship Clubs
- We talk to local day centres and clubs about the benefits of active ageing
- We provide information about the many classes and activities that are taking place throughout the county which you can download for more information from the "Activities for over 50's" section below
- We loan out equipment and indoor games to local clubs and community centre.
- We are available to offer support and advice on the value of exercise and activity to those making general enquiries.
- We provide information booklets on elements of healthy ageing including Healthy Eating; Staying Steady; Bladder and Bowel Problems; Home Safety Checker.
Enjoy later life
This philosophy is central to the work of Age UK Wiltshire as we aim to assist older people to retain their independence and make the most out of life.
Physical activity can;
- Help to reduce the likelihood of suffering from many diseases or help in the management of existing conditions
- Help to maintain mobility and balance and reduce the risk of falling
- Getting together for activity with others can help to avoid the problems caused by loneliness and isolation.
There are many organisations working together in Wiltshire to provide opportunities for older people to increase their physical activity and maintain their health.
Activities for over 50's
We have information about many classes and activities that are taking place throughout the county which you can download for more information.
Fitness and Friendship Clubs
We have set up a number of Fitness and Friendship clubs across Wiltshire, providing social clubs for older people with an emphasis on keeping active.
This service is supported by Sport England