On this page we have collated information about local clubs and groups and where you can find more information about what is happening in your local community.
This is not an exhaustive guide, but provides suggestions which may be useful in helping you research activities in your area.
Find a club or group
We have collated a list of searches and links below for a variety of clubs, groups and organisations.
- Click on a heading to expand it and show the lists under that category.
- Each individual club or organisation will have a matching link that will take you to the named website/document.
- On clicking the link you will be taken to that external website where you can find further details.
Befriending and Wellbeing services
|Wellbeing, social support and befriending-type services||Age UK Wiltshire's Wellbeing Service||
Independent Age (nationwide)
Swindon Circles (befriending and support for Swindon residents) 01793 465513
Richmond Fellowship - Wiltshire (for people with an identified mental health condition)
Care Home Volunteers (friendship and social contact for people living in care homes) 07931 022824
There might be a local charity linked to your previous occupation or a particular health problem that offers a befriending service e.g. Royal British Legion
|Telephone befriending services||Age UK Wiltshire telephone befriending||Age UK Call in Time (nationwide)||Silverline (nationwide)|
|Support to make small lifestyle changes to improve wellbeing||Wiltshire Health Trainers||Swindon Health Wellbeing Ambassadors|
|MHA Live at Home befriending/ companionship (paid for)||Live at Home - Chippenham||Live at Home - Swindon|
Exercise and Sports
|Fitness & Friendship Clubs||View Age UK Wiltshire's Fitness & Friendship clubs here|
|Local exercise and fitness classes for over 50s||Download our list|
|Bowls Clubs||Bowls Wiltshire|
|Walking and Rambling|
Lunch clubs, day centres and social groups
|Local lunch clubs and day centres||Download our list|
|Contact the Elderly monthly tea parties||Contact the Elderly (Devizes, Trowbridge, Swindon, Melksham, RWB, Chippenham)|
|Faith in Later Life - national directory of church-based groups and clubs||Faith in Later Life|
|Your local church or village hall might have a coffee morning or social group|
Hobbies and Arts
|University of the Third Age (U3A) - member-led hobby and interest groups across the county.||U3A - groups including book groups, language, arts and games|
|Knitting and sewing groups|
|Arts||Arts Together (Devizes, Pewsey, Marlborough, BoA, Trowbridge and Corsham)|
|Singing, choirs and music|
|DIY and tools||Men's Sheds|
|Film, media and Theatre||Amdram (listings of amateur dramatics groups)|
Society of International Nature & Wildlife Photographers - Wiltshire camera clubs directory
|Campaign for Real Ale||CAMRA|
|Local Council Home Library service||Wiltshire Home Library|
|Nationwide social-led organisations|
|Veteran's groups and organisations||Royal British Legion|
|Health and disability related support groups||Salisbury Medical centre support groups|
|Groups for carers||Carer's Support Wiltshire|
|Hearing loss||Durrington Hear to Help group|
|Alzheimer's and Dementia||Alzheimer's Support (Wiltshire)|
|For other health-related support groups and activities you could look up charities that may have a local presence - such as Stroke Association, Parkinson's Society, Arthritis Care, Headway, Wiltshire Mind, South Wilts Mencap|
|Social group for older people with learning disabilities
||Gateway Club (Devizes and Calne)|
|A variety of free psycho-educational courses around a range of psychological and emotional difficulties||Wiltshire IAPT|
|Wiltshire Wildlife projects - programmes to help develop certain skills and support mental health wellbeing||Wiltshire Wildlife Trust|
|Talking newspapers||Talking Newspaper Federation|
Village, town and parish newsletters and area specific resources
- Town, parish and church newsletters, magazines and websites are a good place to look for the most current information
- Your town may have a Wiltshire Our Community Matters page which is like an online noticeboard for clubs and events.
- The council-run websites Your Care Your Support (Wiltshire) and My Care My Support (Swindon Borough) have a directory of clubs and groups that you can search by area.
|Local area coordinators (depending on village/town)||Wiltshire Local Area Coordinators - Your Care Your Support|
|Aldbourne area||Aldbourne local links directory|
|Bradford on Avon area||Westwood Parish website||Bradford on Avon hub|
|Mere (SW) area|
The Pewsey Messenger (Alton, Pewsey, Woodborough, Milton Lilbourne)
|Royal Wootton Bassett area|
|Tidworth area||Enford newsletter|
|Tisbury (SW) area|
|Salisbury centre area|
|'Southern Wiltshire area|
|Wilton (SW) area|
Have you thought about volunteering?
There are volunteering opportunities across the county and it can be a great way to meet new people and give something back to your community. Why not have a look at our Age UK Wiltshire volunteering opportunities.
Or the national website Do-it.org has a database of opportunities.
Can't find what you are looking for?
If you want to know what is going on in your community you might also try the following:
- The council-run websites Your Care Your Support (Wiltshire) and My Care My Support (Swindon Borough) have a directory of clubs and groups.
- Your local library can be an invaluable source of local information and may also host activities.
- Charities related to particular health conditions (e.g. Stroke Association) may have local activities and support groups in your area
- Your local church, post office or news agent notice boards usually have current sources of local information about local activities and events
- Word of mouth is often a good source of local information and friends, family or a neighbour may be able to recommend something from their own experiences