Due to the current situation with the COVID-19 virus, we have taken the decision to temporarily suspend all our Fitness & Friendship Clubs.
The health of our members, volunteers and staff is our first priority.
As soon as the situation changes we will update the website.
"If sport and physical activity was a drug it would be regarded as a miracle cure".
Dame Sally Davies, Chief Medical Officer for England.
We promote both physical and mental health and wellbeing and support older people to remain independent for longer by helping them to stay fit and active in later life.
Making ageing a positive experience
The Fitness and Friendship team work to promote the health and well-being of those in our community in several ways:
- We run Fitness and Friendship Clubs (see below)
- We are available to offer support and advice on the value of exercise and activity to those making general enquiries.
- We collate a list of alternative gentle exercise and activity classes throughout Wiltshire
- We provide free information guides from Age UK on elements of healthy ageing (see below)
Fitness and Friendship Clubs
We have set up a number of these clubs across Wiltshire, providing social clubs for older people with an emphasis on keeping active and staying healthy. The gentle exercise, done seated or standing, is designed to help maintain independence and promote balance. After enjoying a cup of tea and delicious biscuits, the exercise is followed by an indoor game. There is a small charge to attend.
People who come to the clubs say that they enjoy the club because the exercises help with mobility, in particular where arthritis can result in a stiffening of the joints.
- the exercises help release tightened muscles so that shoes and socks can be put on more easily
- the clubs provide an opportunity to spend time with others who may be facing similar life challenges
- last but absolutely not least, there is a lot of laughter.
View our Fitness and Friendship Clubs events page for details of your nearest club
Interested in joining or want further information?
Pop along to the next club session and have a chat with the class leader. You will be asked to complete a Safe to Exercise form and a consent form so please come 10-15 minutes earlier than the club opening time. For more information call:
Sally Evans on 07754 612569 or send them an email.
Other Useful Information
Useful information guides
Age UK produce a range of useful information guides and factsheets that can be viewed and downloaded from the Age UK website. In particular there are information booklets on elements of healthy ageing including:
Alternatively you can order hard copies by phoning Age UK's national advice line on 0800 169 65 65.