Age UK Bournemouth began life in 1985 as Age Concern Bournemouth. The Charity was founded to help the older people of Bournemouth but gradually extended its reach to include Poole, East Dorset and Christchurch.
Having started out as an unincorporated association, the charity became a charitable company in 2005.
In 2010 Age Concern Bournemouth entered into a branding agreement with the newly formed national charity Age UK and adopted the trading name Age UK Bournemouth though it retains Age Concern Bournemouthas its official company name. Age UK Bournemouth is one of only two Age UKs in Dorset, the other being Age UK Dorchester. We retain links with many of the Age Concerns in Dorset. Despite our links with the national Age UK charity Age UK Bournemouth remains an independent local organisation responsible for raising its own funds.
The Charity now supports 4,000-5,000 older people each year. To do this it has a team of approximately 30 staff and 140 volunteers. As a charity its activities are overseen by a board of volunteer trustees.
The Charity has a wholly owned trading subsidiary, Age Concern Bournemouth Trading Limited. Through this it sells insurance and other products, the proceeds of which go back to the Charity to help fund its charitable work.
Contract income - Age UK Bournemouth delivers some services under contract with statutory bodies, principally Bournemouth Borough Council.
Client charges - we aim to keep charges for services as low as we can however by making a charge for some of our services we can broaden the scope of the help we offer and make the services more sustainable.
Trading income- we receive income from the sales of insurance and other products.
Donations and gifts in wills - we have a number of regular donors and people who help us with one off donations. We have also been very fortunate to receive a number of gifts in wills in recent years. We are extremely grateful to all of our donors as our other sources of income do not meet the year on year running costs of our services. Without the kindness of our supporters we would not be able to provide the range of help that we are currently able to offer.
Click here for details of how you can support our work or contact us at email@example.com
Mission, Vision, Values
To promote the health and well-being of people in later life by providing services; identifying gaps in provision; and by influencing policy and decision makers.
For Bournemouth, Poole, Christchurch and East Dorset to be an area in which people are able to lead healthy and fulfilling later lives.
- To establish and maintain secure and sustainable resources and reserves
- To influence local and national policy
- To ensure that as diverse as possible a range of local people in later life benefit from our activities
- To ensure that AUKB is a recognisable brand within the area, representing the needs and views of older people
- To develop new services to meet changing needs, aspirations and demography
- To recognise and celebrate diversity and difference and to challenge discrimination
- To influence decision makers and strategies affecting people in later life
- To promote independent thinking and to empower others
- To respond to the needs of people in later life
- To promote collective and partnership working
- To respect confidentiality
- To value and respect our staff, volunteers, clients and others
- To promote sustainability via professional competence and adequate resources
Chris Lockyer - Chairman
Senior Management team
Judith Livingstone - Information & Advice Manager
David Leighton - Trading Manager
Elena Green - Information & Advice Reception
Kerry Bidgood - Support Worker
Laura Metcalfe - Support Worker
Amanda Brown - Support Worker
Michelle Robinson - Volunteer Administrator/Support Worker
Ruth McIntyre - Activities Coordinator & Driver
Clare Busby - Project Purple Administrator
Helen Laurent- Foot Care Assistant
Donna Lewis - Foot Care Assistant
Carol Goodman - Foot Care Assistant
Di Williamson - Day Services Manager
Linda Norman - Centre Cook
Jeff Homer - Minibus Driver
Sarah Elliott - Insurance Arranger
Sam Ling - Marketing & Comms
Sarona Hebditch - Shop Manager
Carol Gott - Assistant Shop Manager
Sarah Breuer - Office Administrator
Gill Haywood-Sheldrake - Support at Home Administrator
Liz Cragg - Finance Officer
Pauline Woods - Insurance Arranger
Lorraine Molloy - Foot Care Assitant