Age UK Croydon is an independent charity, whose vision is to promote independence and choice for all borough residents, but especially those in later life by supporting them, ensuring their voices are heard, their beliefs upheld, their views respected and their needs met. Volunteers at Age UK Croydon are valued, trusted and supported in their development and training, whilst getting the chance to make a difference to people’s lives every day.
We are currently seeking patient volunteers with polite telephone manners who are willing to help support people with information and advice needs.
- Age UK Croydon office at 2 Katharine Street, Croydon, CR0 1NX
- Advice Services Croydon Information and Advice Co-ordinator
- To provide Information and Advice to all people with a care and support needs their families and carers, by telephone at the Age UK office.
- Interviewing clients by telephone to establish their requirement for help
- Identifying and researching information relevant to people’s needs, drawing on resources available and discussing with clients
- Referring to appropriate service providers internally & externally with consent
- Keeping up to date with relevant laws and policies locally and nationally
Skills required for the role
- An ability to understand complex information
- Non judgemental approach, politeness and excellent listening skills
- Basic I.T. skills (including internet browsing, Microsoft Word for Windows and outlook). Good literacy and numeracy skills
- Willingness to work according to guidelines and standards of practice
- Willingness to attend initial training, followed by on-going training as required
In return, Age UK Croydon offers an extensive training program and will reimburse travel and out of pocket expenses. This role provides a great opportunity to gain valuable work experience and have a better understanding of working within the social care sector. Working hours are negotiable, Monday to Friday. Session times are 9.30am - 1.00pm and/or 2.00pm - 4.30pm. Commitment required is at least 2 sessions per week or one full day.
For more information on how to apply, you can contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 020 3701 3264.
Please note that we would require a commitment of a minimum of 6 months volunteering following training.