Skip to content
Please donate

Care at home

Many older people will start to need support to live comfortably and safely at home in later life, but if you are unfamiliar with how help with your care needs is supposed to work it can be hard to know where to begin.

If you start to need care, in most areas of Scotland you would contact your local council’s social work department and ask for an assessment of your care needs. The council will then

  • decide what help they think you need,
  • assess whether you have to pay for your care or if it is free, and
  • arrange care for you or support you to arrange how your care is provided
  • Let you know if you are entitled to Equipment for daily living to help you to be as independent as you can

Care which is classed as personal care is free in Scotland if you are 65 or over, and care which is classed as nursing care is free if you need it regardless of your age.

For detailed information see our guide Care and support at home: assessment and funding or call our helpline on 0800 12 44 222.

Care and support at home: assessment and funding

The Age Scotland Helpline

Call our helpline on 0800 12 44 222 for free to speak to an advisor. Open Monday to Friday 9am - 5pm.

Become part of our story

Sign up today

Back to top