We're running the Aber 10k!
In order to raise funds to help Age Cymru Ceredigion support older people throughout the county, three members of the Aberystwyth office will be taking part in the Cambrian News Aberyswyth Charity 10k on Sunday 6th December.
If you would like to donate, it's safe and simple to do so online - just go our JustGiving page.
“Online scammers see the Christmas and sales period as the perfect opportunity to con people when they’re buying deals for friends and family - we want people to remember that sometimes a deal can be too good to be true.”
Supporting Age Cymru’s Scams and Swindles campaign is Get Safe Online, providing practical online advice for consumers.
Age Cymru’s Scams and Swindles campaign calls for stronger protection against scams for all older and vulnerable people and has written top ten tips to avoid scams:
1. Never buy anything instantly on the doorstep, even if you are pressured.
2. Never give unknown callers your financial details such as your bank account or credit card number.
3. The police and banks will never ask for your financial details by email or on the phone. If someone does it is probably a scam.
4. Never believe direct marketing letters that claim you have won a fortune.
5. Don’t be conned by hard luck letters or emails from aboard.
6. Never hand over credit cards, bank details or cash to ‘couriers’.
7. Use only reputable local traders for work on the house or garden.
8. Don’t fall for lonely hearts scammers – they want cash not love.
9. Avoid investment ‘opportunities’ from cold callers, especially by phone.
10. Beware of strange emails from friends or family asking for money urgently. Their email may well have been hacked.
How we can help you
We provide a free, impartial and confidential service to help you claim the retirement benefits you are entitled to or find the support you need.
Our Financial Advocates can support and enable people to make decisions and take appropriate actions in matters relating to their finances.
Loneliness can be a problem at any age especially in rurally isolated areas. A chat on the phone can make a big difference to people living alone.
Challenge yourself, have fun and collect donations on our behalf by fundraising via JustGiving.
Make a difference to the lives of older people in your community. There are lots of ways to be involved and we welcome volunteers of all ages.
Leave a legacy
If the time is right to leave a legacy in your will, please remember Age Cymru Ceredigion.
Our Home Cleaning service enables older people to remain independent in their own homes for as long as possible.
If you are over 50 and having difficulty cutting your toenails, our volunteers, trained by the Podiatry Department in Cardigan Hospital, can do this for you.
If you are over 50 and have trouble going shopping on your own in Cardigan, let us help you.