Skip to content

Being part of a couple can affect a care home resident’s eligibility for local authority assistance with care home fees and both partners’ eligibility for social security benefits during the period in care.

We have produced a factsheet that addresses this issue and includes sections on the valuation of jointly owned capital, temporary admissions and where both members of a couple go into a care home.

Paying for care in a care home if you have a partner (491 PDF)

This factsheet should be read alongside Age UK’s other factsheets on care home charging and benefits.

How to get care and support (PDF 896 KB)

Paying for permanent residential care (PDF 684 KB)

Further information

For more information: Call Age UK Advice: 0800 678 1174

Was this helpful?