We all want to stay in our own homes for as long as possible, but dealing with the responsibilities of home ownership can become daunting. Our successful Gifted Housing scheme has been running for nearly 40 years, and is one way to make things easier for you.
We are currently reviewing the terms of our agreement and are not accepting any new donations at the moment.
What is Gifted Housing?
Under the Gifted Housing scheme, as an older homeowner, you can donate your property to Age UK. In return, we will take responsibility for maintenance of your property and give you help and support to stay living independently in your home.
As a donor, you will receive other benefits from Age UK:
- we will pay your Council Tax, water rates and building insurance
- we will take responsibility for repairs and maintenance to your property, this may include adaptations
- you receive support and advocacy from a care co-ordinator
- we will help you to arrange care and support at home if you need it and may make contributions to the cost
- if you need to move into residential care, we will help you find a suitable home and may contribute to your care costs.
Why use the Gifted Housing Service?
It’s a flexible service tailored to people’s individual needs, not a ‘one size fits all’ scheme, and people join the service for many different reasons. Signing up to the service and donating your property to Age UK is a major decision. We will ask you to take professional advice on the advantages and disadvantages before making a final decision. We will pay for you to get independent legal advice if you decide to join the service.
What donors have said about the Gifted Housing Service
'I have all the benefits of my own home and none of the disadvantages, like maintenance and repairs, and I know if I need additional help I will receive it.' John, Harrogate
How can I find out more?
For more information read the answers to common questions about the service, complete the enquiry form or talk to one of the Gifted Housing team on 01225 447 800 and one of the team will get back to you.
Watch Gill talk about her experience of the Gifted Housing Service: