Social care and support - all you need to know

Two women holding hands

Social care is the phrase used to describe help and support for people - both personally and practically - enabling them to lead as independent a life as possible.



Social care covers a wide range of services, both private and public, and can include anything from help getting out of bed and washing, through to care homes and drop-in centres.

This is in contrast to primary health care and services, carried out in hospitals

Social care is means-tested in most of the UK at the moment and many councils only give support to people who are classed as having certain eligible needs, meaning state support is not available to many.

Information about social care

Where to start with arranging social care and support

Social care funding changes

How much do you know about social care? We bust 5 myths

Introduction to help at home

How to find care at home

Advice about paying for care and support at home

What are personal budgets and how will they help?

Care homes and other housing

We offer a wide selection of information and advice on your housing options - whether that's a residential care home, or something else.

Need to move home? Is a care home really the answer?

Care homes - 6 things to think about

Information on finding the right care home

Paying for permanent residential care

Your Age UK

Set your location to see what Age UK offers in your local area.

Age UK Advice:
0800 169 6565
A stairlift

Aids for the home

We have a variety of aids to help you feel safe and move around with ease at home, including stairlifts, personal alarms, bath lifts and assistive furniture.

gifted housing

Gifted Housing Service

Donate your property to Age UK and enjoy security and peace of mind. We’ll support you to stay living there and help you with maintenance, and with the costs and worries of home ownership.

Close window
Display options

Set the appearance of this website so you can read it more easily

Text size


To see information relating to Northern Ireland, Scotland or Wales set your preference below: