Skip to content

Everyone aged over 60 gets free prescriptions and eye tests. But depending on your circumstances, you may be entitled to help with other NHS health costs.

Can I claim it?

Before paying for treatment, ask your dentist, optician or hospital staff for advice. Depending on your circumstances, you could get:

  • free NHS dental treatment
  • free NHS prescriptions
  • a free NHS eye test
  • a voucher towards the cost of glasses or contact lenses
  • help with travel costs to receive NHS treatment
  • free NHS wigs and fabric supports.

You will qualify if you and/or your partner receive:

  • the Guarantee Credit part of Pension Credit
  • Income Support
  • income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Working Tax Credit or Child Tax Credit (in some circumstances)
  • Universal Credit.

If you don’t receive any of these benefits but have a low income, you may still get some help with health costs through the NHS Low Income Scheme. Call Help with Health Costs on 0300 330 1343 for a form or pick one up from a dentist, optician or hospital.

How do I claim?

For help with NHS costs, just show your benefit award letter or HC2 or HC3 certificate as proof.

More money in your pocket: a guide to claiming benefits for people over pension age (PDF 3 MB)

Help with health costs factsheet (PDF 165 KB)

Can you claim more benefits?

Each year up to £3.5bn of Pension Credit and Housing Benefit goes unclaimed by older people. See what you're owed - quickly and easily - with our benefits calculator.

Further information

For more information: Call Age UK Advice: 0800 678 1174

Was this helpful?