The majority of older people want to remain independent in their own home for as long as possible.
With more than 2m people aged over 75 living on their own, we try to enable this independence in later life in a number of ways.
Age UK’s local services
We run a number of services at our local Age UKs that aim to make older people's lives easier and safer - either at home or to improve their own wellbeing.
These services differ depending on your location, but often include:
- Handyperson services - covering 80% of the country, our trained teams fo small jobs around the house
- Home shopping delivery - for people who struggle to get out and about, we do your shopping so you don't have to
- Exercise classes - from chair-obics to Tai Chi, most local Age UKs run sessions to help improve mobility and fitness
- Lunch clubs - a place to meet friends and get a hot meal on a regular basis
- Computer training - the world is moving increasingly online, so we run classes to help people get to grips with smartphones, tablets, email and much more
Products to help you stay independent
We also know that to be truly happy at home, it's important to feel safe and comfortable.
Whether it's getting around more easily, coping with health conditions or being able to sit down comfortably, we have various suggestions that could help make your life easier.
Just £5 could make a difference -
help us be there for a lonely older person