Join us for this year's Big Knit campaign by knitting mini hats!
The Big Knit is a partnership campaign between local Age Uks, Age UK National and Innocent Drinks. The campaign has been running since 2003 and with the help of many volunteers last year a total of 1.5 million little hats were sent into Age UK, raising just under £3 million for local Age UKs across the country!
Anyone can get involved, whether you’re a pro or a novice, read more below about how you can get involved and even view our 'how to' video if you are new to knitting!
Thank you to everyone who got knitting for last year's campaign!
The 2020/2021 campaign is underway and we need your help to get to our target of 4000 hats! That's £1,500 raised to help us to support people across the two counties.
1. Grab your knitting needles and any colour wool
2. If you are new to knitting you can watch our 'how to' video below to learn how to knit your mini hat
3. You can download the big knit patterns below or download our Big Knit pack here
4. Get knitting!
5. Once you've completed your hats you can drop them into our Malvern Gate office on any Wednesday - please call 07341 569156 before dropping your hats off. You can also drop them into our Ross-on-Wye office - please call 01989 763 887/567 165 to arrange a drop-off.
You can also send them in the post to our Malvern Gate office. Ensure to enclose your name, how many hats you've knitted and our consent form so we can send you a thank you! Our offices aren't currently open to the public so if you would like to drop your hats off please hold onto them for now and we will update this page when our office is back open.
6. You can also drop your hats into the below shops throughout Worcestershire:
House of Haby, Worcester, WR1 2RA
Emm’s Haberdashery, Droitwich, WR9 8EW
Quilters’ Corner, Evesham, WR11 4PJ
The Stitchery, Upton-upon-Severn, WR8 0HD
We will update this page with any further shops you can drop your hats to.
7. Please ensure to send all your hats to us by mid September 2021 as our deadline to send in hats to Age UK National is 1st October 2021.
For every bottle sold we receive a 25p donation, which helps us reach more people across Herefordshire & Worcestershire.
Need some new ideas to get you going? Why not try:
- Setting yourself a hat challenge! Try knitting 100 hats in 6 months!
- Encouraging your local knit & natter group to knit hats too!
- Set up your own knitting group with your friends, zoom is a great way to keep in touch with others to discuss progress and what new patterns you have been trying!
With your help in 2019 we sent off over 5,800 hats! We couldn't do this without the incredible support of all our knitters, so thank you for making this possible!
So grab your needles and your yarn and let's get knitting! It really is this easy:
Big Knit Patterns
You can view and download Big Knit patterns from The Big Knit website by clicking read here.
Sign up for Big Knit Updates
Sign up to Age UK National's Big Knit updates and they will keep you updated on all things Big Knit and the ways that they provide practical and emotional support to older people.
Send your hats to us at:
Age UK Herefordshire & Worcestershire
Don't forget: the date, our Big Knit consent form & how many hats you've knitted!
Contact Age UK Herefordshire & Worcestershire:
Telephone: 0800 008 6077