LGBT - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender
The Opening Doors London project, led by Age UK Camden, provides a range of services and activities for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) people over 50 in London.
Who is this project for?
Men and women aged 50 and over who identify as being Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and/or Transgender.
What are the aims of the project?
- To reduce social isolation for older LGBT people
- To improve the social well being and mental health of older LGBT people
- To provide increased support for individuals from LGBT communities to remain independent and live at home for longer
- To increase awareness of the needs of older LGBT people within other statutory and voluntary agencies
How do we do this?
- Through holding regular social and other activities including monthly men’s, women’s and mixed social events
- By providing a telephone information and signposting service
- By recruiting LGBT volunteers to provide befriending to older LGBT people
- By providing community safety surgeries and advice sessions
- By working in close partnership with local and national agencies, and providing referrals to other relevant agencies and organisation
- By offering training to increase awareness of the needs of older LGBT people within statutory and voluntary agencies.
Please contact us if you would like to refer a client, or would like us to provide training or do a presentation to your organisation.
What kind of services do we provide?
- Social activities
- Monthly group events
- Health advice sessions
- Access to LGBT friendly exercise classes
- Computer classes
- Information & Advice sessions
- Volunteering opportunities
- Training and awareness sessions for statutory and voluntary agencies
We are increasingly working with Local Authorities and other Adult Social Care providers to support them in ensuring that the services they provide are truly inclusive and appropriate for older LGBT people. We can offer:
- Consultation on implementing the principles of our Checklist
- Staff equality & awareness raising training
- Ambassador representation at conferences, consultations at older people events.
Would you like to support us in delivering our services?
Many of the activities and events are organised by older LGBT people. We are looking for volunteers in a number of areas including:
- Help with our groups
- Lead a workshop or activity group
- Be a friendly visitor / befriender
- Help with our monthly newsletters
- Make a donation
- Take part in a fundraising event
Please contact us if you would like more information on volunteering with our project.
Regular activities and groups include
|Camden's Men Group
||Second Tuesday of the month ‘Speakers and Information Night’ (6pm to 9pm)
||Last Tuesday of the month 'Film Night' (6pm to 9pm)
|Men's Group Walk
||Second Tuesday afternoon of the month
|Westminster Men’s Group
||First Wednesday of the month (6pm to 9pm)
|Pub night (Camden)
||Third Wednesday of the month (from 7pm)
|Monthly Meal (Hackney/Islington)
||Third Wednesday from 7pm
||Fourth Thursday from 6.30pm to 9pm
|Walking and Herstory
|Women’s Lunch Club (Camden)
||Fortnightly – First & third Friday
|Monday Social, Tower Hamlets
|| First Monday of the month (4pm to 6pm)
|Social Group, Redbridge
||Third Monday of the month (2pm to 4pm)
||Third Wednesday of the month (2.30pm to 4.30pm)
|Arts and Crafts, Camden
||Third Wed every month (6.30pm to 8.30pm) and Fourth Friday (2pm – 6pm)
|Lunch Club (Soho)
||Thursday, weekly (12.30pm to 2.30pm
|Dinner Club, Tower Hamlets
||Second Friday of the month (6.30pm to 8.30pm)
Whilst groups are borough based, Opening Doors London members may attend from outside those areas.
Feedback from ODL members include
“The group provides a means of socialising with other Older Gays (especially as I don’t go on the so called ‘gay scene’) and hopefully a means of support in a crisis."
“The group gives me a lift: It is an antidote to loneliness and also a learning experience.”