Skip to content

After you leave

If you go home and social services have arranged support for you, they must check it’s still right for you within two weeks of your return. After this, your care plan should be reviewed at least once a year or more often if needed.

If, at any time, you find that the services aren’t suitable, you should contact social services and ask for a review of your care plan.

Problems and complaints after you’ve left hospital

If you’re not happy with the social care support you receive after you’ve left hospital, first discuss it with the agency providing the service. If you need to make a formal complaint, ask for a copy of their complaints procedure. If you’re still not happy with the outcome, then either:

  • raise your complaint with social services if your care was arranged by them
  • contact the Local Government Ombudsman if you’re paying for your own care and have a contract directly with the care agency.

If you have concerns about an NHS service you’re receiving at home, raise it directly with the staff involved. If they can’t help, make a formal complaint by contacting your local Healthwatch or your local NHS Complaints Advocacy service.

If your complaint is about both NHS and social services, you need only make one complaint covering all your issues to either the NHS or your local council.

For more information, see our factsheet How to resolve problems and make a complaint about social care.

Further information


Our Information guides are short and easy to digest, giving a comprehensive overview of the relevant topic. Factsheets are longer with more detail, and are aimed at professionals.

You can download other guides in our series from publications

For more information: Call Age UK Advice: 0800 678 1174

This page was last updated:

Was this helpful?