Skip to content

Emotional support

Adjusting to life on your own has its ups and downs and letting your feelings out can help you get used to your loss. Talking can help, but you shouldn’t feel pressured into it – it’s different for everyone.

Family and friends are a natural source of emotional support, but may not be available for many people, or you may prefer to speak to someone who is uninvolved. If this is the case, there are other options.

  • A GP can help with symptoms that are often associated with grief - such as sleeplessness, anxiety or depression - and may feel it appropriate to offer you counselling or prescribe medication if symptoms don’t improve.
  • Counselling can help to express your emotions, which may be more complicated than simply missing your partner. It can be a good way to explore your feelings and help you come closer to some sort of resolution. As you don’t have to censor what you say, it can provide a welcome opportunity to get everything off your chest.
  • Ask your local Age UK if it has a befriending service, where a volunteer will regularly visit or phone you at home to provide company and support.
  • Websites and chat forums provide an anonymous place where you can say what you really feel in total freedom. It can be a great help to speak to people who have shared similar experiences.
  • You can ask your GP to refer you for counselling through the NHS (there may be a waiting list). Alternatively, contact Cruse Bereavement Care  which provides free support for bereaved people. If you’re able to pay, you can find a private therapist through the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy. Read our bereavement help and support.

All local Age UKs provide services to combat loneliness. If you're feeling lonely, contact us for support.


'We are there for them when they have nobody else'

Jan explains why the Call in Time telephone befriending scheme is so rewarding to work on.

Watch Jan's story

no one should have no one

Further information

For more information: Call Age UK Advice: 0800 678 1174

This page was last updated:

Was this helpful?