It takes time to adjust to major changes in your life. Use the following questions as a first step towards enjoying living on your own.
- What have you done in the past that you’d like to do again?
- Are there some activities you’ve never done but would like to try?
- Would it help if you could take up an activity with someone else? If so, do you know someone with a similar ambition?
- Would you like to carry on learning? You can learn something practical, or study simply for the pleasure of knowing something new. Find out if there’s a branch of the University of the Third Age (U3A) near you. These offer courses for retired people in subject areas including arts and crafts, history and IT, as well as lunches and outings, such as going to concerts or the theatre.
- Have you ever thought of volunteering? Do you have skills that could help other people? Helping others can concentrate your mind on other things and remind you that you, too, have something to offer.