Home & care

Older couple at home

Your caring role may change over time. The person’s condition may deteriorate and they may require more support than you have the time or energy to give.

What help is available?

Care homes - choice of accommodation

If you're a local authority-funded care home resident, we can help explain what rights you have when choosing which home you live in.

Older lady sitting on bed

Gifted Housing Service

We all want to stay independent for as long possible. And our Gifted Housing scheme can help you do this.
Older man sitting at home

Saving money in the home

Financial expert, Jasmine Birtles will be telling Nadine how we could be saving money around the home – and it might be starting with that Spring Clean we have been putting off!

More home and care features

Saving money in the home
Older lady standing in hallway

Crime prevention

Many of us are anxious about crime. Find out how to keep yourself safe at home and when you're out and about. 
Older man at home

Paying for care and support at home

The amount that social services departments pay towards care on your behalf varies depending on your local authority, although there are minimum requirements.

Are you a carer?

If you're a carer, it's important to know your rights. Making time for yourself is crucial for your health and wellbeing.

older lady with carer

Telecare and telehealth

New technology can help us live independently and stay in control of our own health and wellbeing.
Woman sitting at table

How we help: care

Our vision is for all older people to be able to access the help they need to stay well and independent and to live in suitable housing, in age-friendly neighbourhoods, for as long as they want.

Dorothy Start
Older couple filling in a form

What is Care in Crisis?

Why is the social care system in crisis? What is Age UK doing to help?

Dr Naim Dangoor OBE

Dr Naim Dangoor

We are grateful for the generous support of Dr Naim Dangoor CBE and The Exilarch's Foundation

Close window
Display options

Set the appearance of this website so you can read it more easily

Text size


To see information relating to Northern Ireland, Scotland or Wales set your preference below: