Skip to content

If you want to stay independent in your own home for longer, there are adaptations that could make your everyday life easier. 

There are many different types of equipment and adaptations available, depending on what you may need help with. Some will be more expensive than others. Examples of home adaptations include:

Access to your home

  • A ramp or hand rails for the front door
  • Outdoor lights for better visibility

Moving around your home

  • A stair lift. Download our free Adapting your home guide to find out about stairlifts, mobility aids and other products and services that can help you live at home comfortably for longer.
  • Grab rails or a second bannister
  • Repositioning or widening doors for wheelchair access.


  • A shower seat or bath lift
  • A walk-in bath
  • Flood detectors

Using the kitchen

  • A kettle tipper
  • Cupboards with pull-out shelves for easy access
  • A one-handed chopping board
  • A wheelchair accessible sink.

For safety

  • Personal alarm
  • Pressure sensors
  • Gas and carbon monoxide detectors

Find out more about these adaptations, and further information, in the free downloadable guide:

Adapting your home guide (PDF 367KB)

Contact us at your local Age UK if you need advice or support with your home situation

Financial support

Making adaptations to your home can be costly, but you may be eligible for help from the local authority.

Small adaptations

Disability equipment and small adaptations costing less than £1000 are generally provided free of charge if you’ve been assessed as needing it and you are eligible. Contact your local social services department to have your needs assessed.

Disabled facilities grants

If you require larger adaptations but need help with funding, you may be able to apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant. These are paid by your local council’s housing department, but you may be advised to contact social services first to get an assessment of your needs. These grants are means-tested, so your income and capital can affect how much you get.

Home Improvement Agencies

You could also try contacting a home improvement agency (HIA). These are not-for-profit organisations that help owner-occupiers or tenants of private rented accommodation who are older, disabled or on low incomes, to repair, improve or adapt their homes.

They offer practical help with tasks such as arranging a survey, getting estimates for work, or accessing financial help. They might also run a handyperson scheme. For more information about HIAs, visit the Foundations website.

Other housing options

If you’re having difficulty managing in your home and it is not possible to adapt it, you may have to consider moving to alternative accommodation. Read more about your housing choices or see the guide Housing options (PDF 670 KB).

A small favour

All the information and advice we provide on the website is free and completely independent, as is our National Advice Line that is open 365 days a year.

But demand is going up. We are an ageing population and more people than ever are coming to us for support, which is why we need to ask for help.

If you are able to, just a small gift today could help us reach even more older people wherever the need is greatest.

Please support our work

Further information


Our Information guides are short and easy to digest, giving a comprehensive overview of the relevant topic. Factsheets are longer with more detail, and are aimed at professionals.

You can download other guides in our series from publications

For more information: Call Age UK Advice: 0800 169 2081

Was this helpful?

Back to top