Skip to content

An older man standing in a kitchen

Lots of people worry about paying for care for themselves or for a loved one. Most people will be expected to pay something towards the costs.

If your care is being organised by the local authority, then the main steps of the process are:

  1. Your local authority will firstly do a care needs assessment to identify what help you need.
  2. They will make recommendations about your needs and whether or not you need residential care – this is called a Care Plan.
  3. They will then work out a budget to ensure you get what you need – this is called a Personal Budget.
  4. Then, they will do a means test, also called a financial assessment, to work out how much you should pay towards your care home fees and how much they will cover.

If your care is arranged by the NHS or social services, you may not have to pay for some or all of the care. For more information, see our page on NHS continuing healthcare.

What does the means test look at?

The means test will look at your capital and income, such as your savings and your property. Certain types of income, such as money from certain benefits and pensions, may not be counted.

If you and someone else jointly hold capital, such as a savings account, it’ll be treated as divided equally between the two of you.

In some circumstances your home won’t be included in the means test, for example, if your partner still lives there. Find out more about how your home might be included in the means test.

What if I give away some of my money?

You may be thinking about giving away some of your savings, income or property to avoid higher care costs, and to give something to your relatives or charity, for example. If the council thinks that you have done this to avoid paying care fees they may still assess you as if you still had the money or property that you have given away. This is referred to as deprivation of assets.

What amount of capital will make me eligible to pay for my care?

Amount of your capital, savings and income How much you have to pay
Over £23,250 You must pay full fees (self-funding)
Between £14,250 and £23,250 Your fees will be calculated on a sliding scale
Less than £14,250 You won't have to pay fees

After the means test the local authority should give you a written record of their decision of what you will have to pay and what they will pay, and how they calculated it.

What if I prefer a more expensive care home than the local authority will pay for?

If you'd prefer to live in a care home that costs more than the local authority would usually expect to pay, it can arrange this, provided that someone else is willing to meet the difference in cost. This is usually known as a top-up or third-party payment.

You could also choose a care home in another area to be closer to family or friends. Find out more about having choice of accommodation.

How do I pay my part of the fees?

Generally the local authority will pay the full amount to the home and collect from you the amount that you need to pay. This may be different if you are paying a ‘top-up’ fee.

What if I run out of money?

If you are paying fees yourself (called self-funding) and your capital goes down to under £23,250, the local authority may assist with funding. You should request an assessment a few months before that happens. They should arrange one as soon as possible so you don’t have to use up your capital below that amount.

For more detail on paying for permanent residential care, please see our free resources

Paying for permanent residential care (PDF 258 KB)

Further information


Our Information guides are short and easy to digest, giving a comprehensive overview of the relevant topic. Factsheets are longer with more detail, and are aimed at professionals.

You can download other guides in our series from publications

For more information: Call Age UK Advice: 0800 169 2081