Television licence concessions

hand holding remote control

You need a valid television license if you use TV receiving equipment to watch or record any television programmes as they’re being broadcast.

What does 'TV receiving equipment' cover?

‘TV receiving equipment’ includes a TV, set-top box, computer, video or DVD recorder, tablet, mobile phone or any other device.

The consumer advice body Which? tests all of these products - find out more on their website.

Who is entitled to a TV licence concession?

You can get a TV licence concession if:

  • you're aged 75 or over (or your household includes someone who is over 75)
  • you're registered as blind or severely sight impaired
  • you're retired or disabled and live in certain accommodation

The over-75 TV concession

A free licence is not given out automatically - you need to apply for it.

You'll need to provide the following information:

  • Your date of birth
  • National insurance number (or a photocopy of your passport, driving licence or birth certificate)

If you share your house with someone younger than 75, you can still apply for a free licence, but it must be in your name.

Once you have your free TV licence, it will be automatically renewed annually.

If you're 74 when you renew your licence you can apply for a short-term licence. Then, when you turn 75, you should automatically receive a free over-75 TV licence. If you've paid for a full year's licence by mistake, contact TV Licensing.

Blind or severely sight-impaired

If you're blind or severely sight-impaired, you can claim a 50% discount on your TV licence.

When you apply, you'll need to provide a photocopy of the certificate4 from your local authority or ophthalmologist confirming your status as well as your TV licence application form and fee. Once you're registered, all your  TV licence renewals will be at the concessionary rate.

If you live with someone who is blind or severely-sight impaired, you can get the 50% discount if you transfer the TV licence to the name of that person.

If you've already paid the TV licence fee but qualify for the blind concession, fill out the TV Licensing online refund form.

Second home

Your TV licence for your main home doesn't cover you if you have a second home. You will have to buy a separate licence.

If you have a licence for your main home, you won't need another if you have a static caravan or mobile home and you don't use the TV at the same time at both places. You'll still need to fill in a declaration form and send it to TV Licensing though.

How to claim your concession

You can apply for a concession by calling TV Licensing on 0300 790 6131 or visiting the TV licensing website.

There are a number of different ways to pay for your TV licence, including direct debit, credit or debit card, cheque and TV licensing payment card.

TV licence concession if you live in a care home or sheltered housing

You may be entitled to a TV licence concession if you live in a care home or sheltered housing. This licence is called an Accommodation for Residential Care (ARC) licence.

You'll only need to get one if you watch TV in your own separate accommodation, not if you only watch it in common areas such as a residents' lounge.

To qualify, you must be retired and aged 60 or over or disabled. An ARC licence costs £7.50.

If you think you qualify for an ARC licence, contact the warden, staff or managing authority where you live. They will apply for one for you. If you've already paid your full licence fee and now qualify for an ARC licence, ask your care home manager to help you apply for a refund.


We are grateful for the generous support of Dr Naim Dangoor CBE
and The Exilarch's Foundation

Your Age UK

Set your location to see what Age UK offers in your local area.

Age UK Advice:
0800 169 6565

Useful website

  • TV Licensing provides information on different types of TV licence and ways to pay.

Help with downloads


What is a download?

A download is a document (like a research report, a leaflet, or an application form) that can be transferred from our website to your computer. You can download a file, view it on your screen, print it, or save it to your computer.

What is a PDF?

PDF stands for ‘portable document format’.

Most downloads on this website are PDFs. We use this format to ensure that the document looks the same on everyone’s computer (website pages, by contrast, appear differently depending on how people have set their computer up).

How do I download a PDF?

Computers use a program called Adobe Acrobat Reader to download PDFs. If you try clicking on a link to download a PDF and it doesn’t work, you will need to install Adobe Acrobat Reader onto your computer.

How do I install Adobe Acrobat Reader?

The process is quite straightforward and is free.

  1. Go to
  2. Click ‘Download’.
  3. Wait for the window to offer you the option to ‘Run’, then choose this option.
  4. Click ‘Next’.
  5. Click ‘Install’
  6. Wait for the window to offer you the option to ‘Finish’, then choose this option.

How do I change a download?

PDFs cannot be changed.

How do I print or save a download?

Downloads will open on your computer in a new browser window.

Inside this window (below all your web browser menus), there will be a toolbar with options for you to print or save the document.

Close the browser window to return to the Age UK website.

Can my screen reader read PDF downloads?

We have made every effort to make our PDFs accessible to screen readers. Please ensure that you have downloaded the latest version of Acrobat Reader from the Adobe Reader website to ensure that accessibility options are included in your version of the programme.

You can use Adobe Reader to read a PDF out loud with the following shortcut keys:

  • Read the document: Shift +Ctrl+Y
  • Read the open page only: Shift +Ctrl+V
  • Read to the end of the document: Shift+Ctrl+B
  • Pause: Shift+Ctrl+C
  • Stop Shift+Ctrl+E

You can convert a PDF document into a text file for use with other software and hardware such as Braille printers by opening the PDF and choosing ‘Save as text’ from the File menu.

Close window
Display options

Set the appearance of this website so you can read it more easily

Text size


To see information relating to Northern Ireland, Scotland or Wales set your preference below: