Skip to content

TV licence for care homes and sheltered housing

You may be entitled to a TV licence concession if you live in a care home or sheltered housing. This licence is called an Accommodation for Residential Care (ARC) licence and it costs £7.50.

You'll only need to get one if you watch TV in your own separate accommodation, not if you only watch it in common areas such as a residents' lounge.

To qualify, you must be retired and aged 60 or over or disabled and live in accommodation which is eligible. If you think you qualify, contact the warden, staff or managing authority where you live. They will apply for one for you.

If you've already paid your full licence fee and now qualify for an ARC licence, ask your care home manager to help you apply for a refund.

If you have questions about the ARC licence, visit the TV licensing website.

Can you claim more benefits?

Each year up to £3.5bn of Pension Credit and Housing Benefit goes unclaimed by older people. See what you're owed - quickly and easily - with our benefits calculator.

Further information

For more information: Call Age UK Advice: 0800 678 1174

This page was last updated:

Was this helpful?