Skip to content

6 ways to reduce your Council Tax bill

There are some ways to reduce your Council Tax bill. Here are 6 you might want to look into...

1. Get a 25% discount if you live alone

If you live alone, you get a 25% discount on your Council Tax bill, regardless of your financial circumstances. The full Council Tax is calculated assuming there are two or more people living in each home. If you live alone, you should apply to your local council for the discount.

2. Challenge your band

Sometimes you can get the Council Tax band for your property changed. Major changes will sometimes mean that a property should move into a different band. For example, a property may move down a band if adaptations for a disabled person reduce its value, or if a motorway is built nearby. If you think the band should be changed, you can contact your local office of the Valuation Office Agency (VOA) to make a proposal for changing the band.

3. Is your property exempt from paying Council Tax? 

There are exemptions for certain types of properties or situations where Council Tax doesn’t need to be paid at all. For example, if your home is left empty because you have gone into hospital or a care home, or if it is left empty because you have gone to give or receive care due to age, disability, or illness. See our Council Tax factsheet below for more details of exemptions.

4. Is your home adapted for a disabled person living there?

There are reductions for homes that are adapted for a disabled person living there. Adaptations might include an additional bathroom or kitchen for the use of a disabled person, enough space for using a wheelchair indoors or a special room for use by the disabled person - such as a treatment room or, in some cases, an additional bedroom. If your home qualifies for a disability reduction then it will be moved down one Council Tax band.

5. Do you live with a student, carer or someone with a severe mental impairment?

There are discounts if you live with people who are not counted for Council Tax purposes. This includes anyone with a severe mental impairment, which could include dementia or a learning disability, depending on their severity. Carers who look after someone in the household for at least 35 hours a week and are not a partner or parent of the person they care for may also be exempt, although this also depends on whether or not the person receiving care gets certain disability benefits. See our factsheet below for further details of who may be exempt for Council Tax purposes.

6. Apply for Council Tax Support

You could apply for Council Tax Support (sometimes also called Council Tax Reduction). This is available depending on your individual circumstances, such as your age, your income, and what benefits you receive. Each local authority has their own scheme and eligibility. Find out more about Council Tax Support

Download our Council Tax Support guide for more information.

Council Tax Support information guide (PDF 259 KB)

And our Council Tax factsheet has more detailed information about these potential reductions, discounts, and exemptions.

Council Tax factsheet (PDF 400 KB)

Speak to us at your local Age UK for help with your council tax

Further information

You might also be interested in


Our Information guides are short and easy to digest, giving a comprehensive overview of the relevant topic. Factsheets are longer with more detail, and are aimed at professionals.

You can download other guides in our series from publications

For more information: Call Age UK Advice 0800 678 1174

This page was last updated:

Was this helpful?