Skip to content

When someone dies it can be a very emotional time and this can make it hard to know what practical things you need to do next.

On this page we’ll explain:

Someone has died. What practical things do I need to do straight away?

A woman on the phone.When someone dies, the first steps you need to take will depend on how and where they died.

If someone dies at home

> Call the family doctor and nearest relative immediately.

If the death was expected, the doctor will give you a medical certificate showing the cause of death.

They’ll also give you a formal notice saying they’ve signed the medical certificate and telling you how to register the death.

If the person is to be cremated, you’ll need two certificates signed by different doctors.

If someone dies in hospital

The hospital will usually issue a medical certificate and formal notice.

The body will usually be kept in the hospital mortuary until the funeral directors or relatives arrange a chapel of rest, or for the body to be taken home.

If someone dies unexpectedly

If someone dies unexpectedly, or the family doctor hasn’t seen them in the last 14 days, the death is reported to a coroner.

A coroner is a doctor or lawyer responsible for investigating unexpected deaths. They may call for a post-mortem or inquest. This may take some time, so the funeral may need to be delayed.

If someone dies abroad

If someone dies abroad, register the death according to the regulations of the country and get a consulate death certificate. Register it with the British Consul in the country too, so a record can be kept in the UK.

The GOV.UK website offers two leaflets which explain the practical support British consular staff can offer and what you need to do.

How do I register a death?

You need to register the death within five days. Here’s a step-by-step guide how to do that:

Step 1: Find a register office.

You can use any one, but it’s best to use the one in the area where the person died.

Step 2: Get the information ready

Doing paperwork When you go to the register office, you’ll need to take with you the medical certificate showing the cause of death, signed by a doctor. If possible, also take the person’s:

  • birth certificate
  • NHS medical card or number
  • marriage or civil partnership certificate.

You will have to tell the registrar:

  • the person’s full name (and any other names they had, such as a maiden name)
  • the person’s date and place of birth
  • their date and place of death
  • their usual address
  • their most recent occupation
  • whether or not they were receiving any benefits, including State Pension, and the name, occupation and date of birth of their spouse or civil partner

Step 3: What you'll get

When you have provided the required information, the registrar will give you:

  • a certificate for burial or cremation (known as the Green Form)
  • a certificate of registration of death (form BD8). You should fill this out and return it in the pre-paid envelope if the person was receiving State Pension or any benefits
  • leaflets about bereavement benefits
  • a death certificate, for which there will be a charge. 

Step 4: Getting extra certificates

If you need to you can buy extra death certificates – these will be needed for the will and any claims to pensions, savings, etc.

It’s best to pay for several copies, because copies required at a later date may be more expensive.

Ordinary photocopies aren’t accepted by some organisations, such as banks or life insurance companies.

Step 5: Updating records

The registrar may tell you about the free Tell Us Once service if it’s offered in that area. This lets you report a death to several government departments in one go, either online or by telephone.

You will need to get a Tell Us Once reference number from the registrar.

Who do I need to tell about the death?

Man using the computer When someone dies, you must get in touch with certain organisations to let them know as soon as possible.

(TIP: You may be able to use the Tell Us Once service to do some of this if the registrar has given you the details.)

You need to:

  • tell the tax office
  • return the deceased person’s driving licence to the DVLA
  • return their passport to the UK Passport Agency. 

You may need to contact other organisations as well, such as:

  • pension scheme provider
  • insurance company
  • bank and building society
  • employer
  • mortgage provider, housing association or council housing office
  • social services
  • utility companies
  • GP, dentist, optician and anyone else providing medical care
  • any charities, organisations or magazine subscriptions the deceased person made regular payments to
  • the Bereavement Register - to stop post being sent to the person who has died

What do I do if the person who died had a Lasting or Enduring Power of Attorney?

You should send any Lasting Power of Attorney or Enduring Power of Attorney they had back to the Office of the Public Guardian, along with a death certificate, if you were their attorney.

What should I do next?

When someone dies there's often a lot to deal with – their paperwork, finances, legal issues, property, as well as coping with your own emotional reaction to their death.

Further information

For more information: Call Age UK Advice: 0800 169 2081

Back to top