Age UK Maidstone uses cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our policy. To read more about how we use cookies and how you can control them. Read our Cookie Policy
Skip to content

Community Transport

Frequently asked questions about community transport Maidstone.

Do you provide a communtiy transport service?

Unfortunaly we do not provide a community transport service. The only transport we provide is to and from our day care centres.

Alternativly you can download our community transport information booklet here or pick one up at our office in Mill Street, Maidstone.

Community Wardens

Frequently asked questions about community wardens

What can my local warden help with?

All the information you need to know about community wardens can be found here.

Who is my local community warden?

Our local District Support Warden is Dawn Riach-Brown, she can be contacted on:
07773 397125

Furniture Donation

Frequently asked questions about what to do with your unwanted furniture

Where can I donate my unwanted furniture?

find a complete list here of charitys that will take all kind sof furniture, they might even collect it for you

Medical advice

Frequently asked questions about medical advice

The Medicines Helpline

01892 634216

Helpline open Mon-Fri 9am-5pm

This is a telephone helpline available to answer any questions you have regarding medicines prescribed for you at the Tunbridge Wells Hospital at Pembury or the Maidstone Hospital. They unfortunately cannot answer questions about medicines from your own doctor or about your illness in general.

NHS 111

If you need urgent help with your medicines or medical advice and cannot contact any of the above, telephone 111 or go to This service offers health information and advice from specially trained nurses 24 hours a day.

The Hospital Switch Board 

01622 729000

If you have a question which does not relate to medicine, for example about an out-patient appointment, please call the hospital switchboard and they can put you through to the correct department.

Disposal of medicine

If you have completed a course of medication or it has been stopped and you no longer require the medicine it can be returned to your local hospital pharmacy or a local community pharmacy for safe disposal by a licensed authority.

Mobility Equipment

Frequently asked questions about mobility equipment

Lots of useful information about disability can be found at OR

How do I sell my used disability equipment?

Disabled Gear sells unused and unwanted mobility aids and disability equipment. Users sell second-hand wheelchairs, scooters, standing frames, hand bikes, mobility and handling equipment, adapted cars and vans. Tips on selling.

Other places you can sell unwanted equipment include:

How do I recycling my disability equipment?

  • Freegle and Freecycle groups match people who have things they want to get rid of with people who can use them. Check out your local groups.
  • Stoma Aid is a new initiative that will collate unused ostomy supplies in the UK and redistribute them to patients living with a stoma in developing countries that cannot afford or access supplies.
  • Disabled Equipment Sent Overseas accepts:

    • Crutches
    • Walking sticks
    • Wheelchairs
    • Braille books and magazines
    • Sticks for blind people
    • Other items for visually impaired people
    • Glasses
    • Hearing aids
    • Tools

How do I go about buying second-hand disability equipment?

Disability Living Foundation provides a factsheet on buying second-hand disability equipment.


How do I give back my disability equipment?

If in the past you have been discharged from hospital or had a visit from Adult Social Services, you may ahev aquired some disability epuipment on loan.

This epuipment should be services on a regular basis, unfortunatly sometimes it gets forgotten about and you may need to contact the supplier. Additionally the council may have loaned it to you but you no longer need it and have forgotten where it came from.

Here are some useful numbers to try and call to hopefully solve your problem,


Reporting to Trading Standards

If you think a company has broken the law or acted unfairly, you might be able to report them to Trading Standards.

What should you report to Trading Standards

You should report a company to Trading Standards if, for example:

  • they misled you into buying their products or services
  • they sold you unsafe or dangerous items
  • they didn’t carry out the work properly, for example, their work left your home in a dangerous state
  • they sold you fake or counterfeit items
  • they pressured you to buy something you didn’t want to buy
  • they sold you a car that wasn't 'roadworthy' (it would cause danger if it was on the road)

How to report a trader to Trading Standards

Call the Citizens Advice consumer helpline and tell them you want to report a trader to Trading Standards. The consumer helpline will assess your problem and pass it on to Trading Standards if it's appropriate. 

If you live in Northern Ireland, you'll need to contact Consumerline and tell them you want to report a trader to Trading Standards. 

Citizens Advice consumer helpline
Telephone: 03454 04 05 06
Textphone: 18001 03454 04 05 06
Telephone a Welsh-speaking adviser: 03454 04 05 05
Textphone a Welsh-speaking adviser: 18001 03454 04 05 05
Open Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm. Closed on bank holidays.

Calls to the helpline cost up to 9p per minute from a landline. If you're calling from a mobile, it'll cost between 3p and 40p per minute - if you have inclusive minutes, it's the same as calling a landline. Find out more about call charges.

An adviser will answer your call as soon as possible, usually within a few minutes. Once you're speaking to an adviser your call should take an average of 8 to 10 minutes.

Be prepared to tell the adviser details of the problem and the company’s name and address.

You can also use an online form or write to the consumer helpline - make sure you mention that you want to report a trader to Trading Standards. 

What Trading Standards do

Trading Standards will decide whether to investigate your problem. If they do, they might contact you for more information and evidence. Depending on what they find out, they might take action to stop the trader from acting unfairly. For example they might educate the trader about the law or take legal action against them to stop them from trading completely.

Even if Trading Standards don’t contact you, they might use your evidence to take action in the future.


Frequently asked questions about scams

How do I report a scam?

If you have been a victim of a scam or someone has tried to scam you, whether it was over the phone or at your door, you must report it immediatly. This not only protects yourself from further disappointment, but will also help prevent anyone else from being scammed. 

Download our information sheet about scamming here

Remember to always contact your bank straight away if you feel you have been scammed.

Smoke Alarms

Frequently asked questions about smoke and carbon monoxide alarms

Where do you fit a carbon monoxide detector?

Carbon monoxide detectors should be installed in every room that contains a fuel burning appliance.

They should be installed at a horizontal distance of between 1 and 3m from a potential source of carbon monoxide - for example, if this is the ceiling, it should be at the highest point if the ceiling is sloped and at least 30cm from any obstruction - such as light fixtures.

If the source is on the wall, it should be located approximately 15cm from the ceiling but not above any windows or doors.

But it is also important not to install a detector in the wrong place as it could go off unnecessarily.

Do not install it:

  • In an enclosed space, for example in a cupboard
  • Where it can be obstructed, for example by furniture
  • Next to a door, window, extractor fan or air vent
  • In an area where the temperature may drop below -10°C or exceed 40°C
  • Where dirt and dust may block the sensor
  • In a damp or humid location, for example in the bathroom or above a sink
  • Within 1m of any appliance

Where do I put a smoke alarm?

There are three types of smoke alarm, with London Fire Brigade recommending a combination of all of them in your home:

  • Ionisation alarms detect smoke particles using a current between two electrodes - these are more sensitive to smaller particles of smoke made by the flaming stage of fires
  • Optical alarms contain an infrared LED which pulses a beam of light into a sensor area to check for smoke particles -they are better at detecting larger smoke particles from slower smouldering fires but are not good in dusty areas.
  • Heat alarms detect an increase in temperature from a fire and are insensitive to smoke. They are best used in the kitchen or garage for example.

The Fire Service recommend that you install at least one smoke alarm on every level of your home. It also wise to install extra alarms in rooms containing large appliances, such as televisions or freezers.

Also, fit smoke alarms where you can hear them if you are asleep and make sure not to put them in the bathroom because steam may set them off accidentally.

Put the alarm on the ceiling, as close to the centre of the room or hallway as possible - try to keep at least 30cm away from the wall or any light fittings.

Smoke alarms should not installed in kitchens or garages where they can be accidentally set off - instead install a heat detector.

How often do you test a carbon monoxide and smoke detector?

It is vital to check your alarms once a week - anything less increases the risk of living with a faulty alarm for too long.

To test it, press the test button, which will them emit a loud alarm for around five seconds. A LED light will also flash during the signal.

If the alarm doesn't sound or flash, it's a sign the batteries need to be changed, which should be done immediately.

What do I do if my smoke or carbon monoxide alarm goes off?

If your smoke alarm goes off without warning, always check there is no danger of smoke or fire before silencing the alarm.

As carbon monoxide is the silent killer, there might not be an immediate sign of any danger if the detector goes off.

You should:

  • Switch off gas-fuelled appliances (boiler, cooker, gas fire) and open doors and windows in the room to ventilate. Do not sleep in the room
  • Call the Gas Emergency Freephone Number 0800 111 999
  • Visit your doctor or Accident and Emergency urgently and tell then you believe you have symptoms related to carbon monoxide. Request a breath or blood test

How do I get a free smoke or carbon monoxide detector?

Since October 2015, landlords are legally required to install smoke alarms in rental properties and could face fines of up to £5,000 if they fail to comply.

They only cost from around £5 in most DIY stores.

Fire and rescue services across the country offer free home fire safety visits and offer advice to minimise the risk of a blaze. 

They may fit free alarms during the assessment, so visit your local fire service website to book a visit.

How do I find the fire and rescue service?

Kent Fire and Rescue: Call 01622 692121 or visit their website here

Give as you live

Give as you Live is a free application for your computer that allows you raise money for Age UK Maidstone, while you shop online - at no cost to you!

You don't pay any extra for the items than you would normally and with Give as you Live, you can send an average of 2.5% of every pound you spend online to Age UK Maidstone doing your usual online shopping.

Start raising free funds today!